• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

VB vs. C++

Started by MoNksBaNe_Agahnim, November 14, 2003, 06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dyndrilliac

It's my experience that any integer directing to data is a pointer.

For example, making Trainers in VB. I've heard people that are stupid say it isn't possible but it is - because of pointers.  In order to make a name spoofer code in vb you have to be able to edit the data(name) the pointer is directing you to - is that not using a pointer?

I think you all need to go Here to see what I'm talking about.15030963 8B0A83CEFF E8D86A0000
15037440 000000000000 81FA10330319
15037446 0000 7505
15037448 0000000000 BA53740315
1503744D 0000 8B0A
1503744F 000000 83CEFF
15037452 00 C3
#Your Spoofed name goes below in hex as the new data.
#Always end with a Null Character (Hex = 00)
# Currently Set For: "TechBot"
15037453 000000000000000 54656368426f7400
The above is the code for a Starcraft 1.10 Name Spoofer in ASM - To convert this to Visual Basic you would inevitably have to edit the data the pointer is directing you to - which is very possible. There you used a pointer. Whether it is integrated in the language itself is irrelevant. Stfu, you used a pointer.
Quote from: Edsger W. DijkstraIt is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC; as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Kp

Quote from: Dyndrilliac on November 27, 2003, 09:58 AM
For example, making Trainers in VB. I've heard people that are stupid say it isn't possible but it is - because of pointers.

This is a largely irrelevant point.  Except for HDLs, which I'm pretty sure VB can't do, all "trainer" type programs work by modifying the memory of another process, which requires calls to the OS.  Manipulating pointers to somebody else's memory is not a feature of any of the languages under discussion.  Even in C, you call WriteProcessMemory ().
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Dyndrilliac

Whether it is a feature or not is even more irrelevant, because I believe the argument was "You cannot use pointers in visualBasic" - which it has been proved several times you can.
Quote from: Edsger W. DijkstraIt is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC; as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Skywing

Quote from: Dyndrilliac on November 27, 2003, 10:06 AM
Whether it is a feature or not is even more irrelevant, because I believe the argument was "You cannot use pointers in visualBasic" - which it has been proved several times you can.
Um.. a number of the posts here have been about it being a language feature.  Please read the thread.

Dyndrilliac

Quote from: ObsidianWolf on November 26, 2003, 10:54 AM
I love VB but honestly theres somethings that you cant do in VB.net that you can in C++.  Proof of such is the error i sometimes recieve that mocks me "You can not do this in Visual Basic".

Quote from: Myndfyre on November 26, 2003, 11:07 AM
such as.... pointers?  :D

Quote from: St0rm.iD on November 26, 2003, 04:11 PM
Those aren't pointers. Pointers are a syntax structure. And that function overloading is also a syntax construct; I don't want to have to write all of that.

Excuse me, but the original argument was that you cannot use pointers in Visual Basic. Please, read the thread.

Skywing

Quote from: Dyndrilliac on November 27, 2003, 10:39 AM
Quote from: ObsidianWolf on November 26, 2003, 10:54 AM
I love VB but honestly theres somethings that you cant do in VB.net that you can in C++.  Proof of such is the error i sometimes recieve that mocks me "You can not do this in Visual Basic".

Quote from: Myndfyre on November 26, 2003, 11:07 AM
such as.... pointers?  :D

Quote from: St0rm.iD on November 26, 2003, 04:11 PM
Those aren't pointers. Pointers are a syntax structure. And that function overloading is also a syntax construct; I don't want to have to write all of that.

Excuse me, but the original argument was that you cannot use pointers in Visual Basic. Please, read the thread.
Actually, what people have been arguing about recently was pointers as a language feature.  I'd consider this more relevant than something which hasn't been discussed so recently.

Adron

How do you create linked lists or trees in VB?

Yoni

Quote from: Adron on November 27, 2003, 01:03 PM
I think it can be done with class modules.

Adron

Quote from: CupHead on November 26, 2003, 01:00 PM
4) Exception Handling

VB has excellent error handling in my opinion.  You can not only create your own errors, but you can raise them whenever you like, be notified of what error it is, what line caused it, and even return control to the program after your code has adjusted.  We all know about On Error Resume Next, which is essentially a catch-all that keeps your programs from crashing.  Well, you can actually do:

I don't like VB's error handling at all for one big reason: Generic error handling is as far as I know impossible to implement without copy-pasting code. That is: If I want to handle every error that can possibly happen and do some kind of clean shutdown, I would have to write an On Error statement, a label and handler (or call to a generic handler) into nearly every event handler of every object. (i.e. command1_mousedown, command1_click, command1_mousemove, command1_ ... etc)

I have been able to find no way to create a generic exception handler that is global to the application.

What's worse, VB doesn't even let any errors happening in such functions pass on to a possibly attached debugger, or to the operating system. You get a stupid "Run-time error X: Bla bla bla" box with an OK button instead of invoking Dr.Watson to create a dump file that could be debugged.

Adron

Quote from: Yoni on November 27, 2003, 01:09 PM
Quote from: Adron on November 27, 2003, 01:03 PM
I think it can be done with class modules.

Ah yes, VB does have a type of pointers/references there. Whenever you use "Set x = something",  you're really assigning a pointer. There's one thing to be aware of: Circular reference chains causing objects not to be deleted. I'm not sure how efficient it is either, should look at the compiled code to find out exactly how it does it some time.

There's no easy way to have a pointer to several elements though?

Banana fanna fo fanna

The closest thing VB has to pointers is references.

And, the point about trainers was bullshit. Pointers are not just saying "oh I can edit arbitrary memory locations". Please read the thread.

|