• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Moebius Strips

Started by CupHead, October 22, 2003, 07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skywing

Quote from: CupHead on October 23, 2003, 05:21 PM
If it doesn't have two sides, how does the thickness exist?
I think you could safely call the edge of the piece of paper (or whatever thin material) that you're making the strip out of a side, because however small, it's thickness is >0.

Soul Taker

I don't get it either... a sphere has an outside wall and an inner wall, that's two sides.  How can you possibly have a sphere that has no inner wall?

iago

Quote from: Soul Taker on October 24, 2003, 12:51 AM
I don't get it either... a sphere has an outside wall and an inner wall, that's two sides.  How can you possibly have a sphere that has no inner wall?

By not making it hollow?
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Soul Taker

How can it be a sphere, then, because it would have to have no thickness for there to be no chance of it being hollow.

Tuberload

You guys seem to be making this way more difficult than it is...
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

Adron

Quote from: CupHead on October 23, 2003, 04:22 PM
Grok, it can't be hollow because there aren't two sides between which it can be hollow.  It only has one side.

A moebius strip has two sides at every point. It just doesn't have two sides total. You can cut off a piece anywhere you like and you'll find two sides, so you can treat it as having two sides for the purpose of thickness etc.

CupHead

There's a difference though.  Once you cut it, it's not a Moebius strip anymore.   :P

Grok

Your definition of 'side' is flawed.

Eibro

Quote from: Soul Taker on October 24, 2003, 12:51 AM
Cull its backfaces, then itt'l have no inner wall.
Eibro of Yeti Lovers.

Adron

Quote from: CupHead on October 24, 2003, 08:10 AM
There's a difference though.  Once you cut it, it's not a Moebius strip anymore.   :P

Of course not, but you're measuring its thickness at some point, and then you can cut off a piece containing that point and you'll realize that you have no problem!

CupHead

But then it's not a Moebius strip anymore, so it is a problem.

Adron

Why would that be a problem? Do you think the thickness of part X changes because you cut it off?

Also, a theoretical moebius strip has no thickness while a "real world" moebius strip has two sides, at least.

Grok

Quote from: Adron on October 24, 2003, 11:01 AM
Why would that be a problem? Do you think the thickness of part X changes because you cut it off?

Also, a theoretical moebius strip has no thickness while a "real world" moebius strip has two sides, at least.

That's why I asked him to confirm he was discussing a physical model, not a theoretical one.  The theoretical one has no thickness in one dimension.

iago

Quote from: CupHead on October 24, 2003, 10:55 AM
But then it's not a Moebius strip anymore, so it is a problem.

That's like saying if we take out a person's heart from his body, it's no longer a part of a person; therefore, if we study a heart that's been removed from a body, it's no longer relevant to its workings inside the body, which clearly isn't completely true.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

mejal

|