• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Does anyone have HL2

Started by Naem, October 20, 2003, 02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iago

Quote from: kamakazie on October 26, 2003, 04:59 PM
Quote from: Mitosis on October 26, 2003, 04:50 PM
Um if you didnt know, Valve leaked the source like all over the net. So I gots it.

I doubt Valve leaked their own source code.

Obviously it was somebody at valve.  
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Probe

yes it has to be someone from valve, there is no way they would leave the source code on a computer with internet accses

Grok

It was not leaked, it was released into the public domain.

j0k3r

Quote from: Grok on October 26, 2003, 06:31 PM
... It boggles the mind why you would say that. Why would Valve leak something that was supposed to be game of the year, on a brand new engine that kicks the ass of anything currently out there, to the public and competitors? The loss for this leak is estimated at $66.7Million(oy).

Nobody knows how it was leaked, the most popular rumor is that someone hacked into an employee's e-mail that had the source.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Hitmen

Maybe he was thinking quake 2?

Naem

Quote from: j0k3r on October 26, 2003, 06:44 PM
Quote from: Grok on October 26, 2003, 06:31 PM
Nobody knows how it was leaked, the most popular rumor is that someone hacked into an employee's e-mail that had the source.

That isn't a rumor, it's the truth. Gabe Newell, co-founder of VALVe, claims that various logs show modified trojans throughout their network. He believes the attacker infiltrated the network from a buffer overflow exploit in Outlook.
اگر بتوانید این را بهخوابید ، من را "پی ام" کنید

j0k3r

Yeah that's what I read too.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Grok

One of those was released by the maker.  Not sure which.  If I was wrong, sorry.  But one of them did a port to .NET and released the source.

Skywing

Quote from: Grok on October 26, 2003, 07:29 PM
One of those was released by the maker.  Not sure which.  If I was wrong, sorry.  But one of them did a port to .NET and released the source.
The Quake II engine was released into the public domain by id software several years ago, and somebody else ported it to .NET.  Half-Life II was stolen from VALVe software.

iago

Incidently, I doubt they were emailing the source around.  

Skywing

Quote from: iago on October 27, 2003, 02:09 AM
The story is that Valve was slow to roll out some important security fixes for Outlook.  Eventually somebody used said flaws to install a trojan and used that to gain account passwords in order to steal the code.

iago

Quote from: Skywing on October 27, 2003, 07:03 AM
Quote from: iago on October 27, 2003, 02:09 AM
The story is that Valve was slow to roll out some important security fixes for Outlook.  Eventually somebody used said flaws to install a trojan and used that to gain account passwords in order to steal the code.

That makes a lot more sense, but I was mostly responding directly to what j0k3r said, that somebody hacked into their email which contained it.

If it WAS an outside job, which it seems to be, I'm very, very impressed.