• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Philosophical question... (I think)

Started by j0k3r, September 29, 2003, 03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0k3r

If God could wish for anything, what would it be?

Quote from: iago on September 18, 2003, 01:14 AM
You clearly know nothing about philosophy, and your posts about it are unwelcome.
Yes, I will stay out of this one.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Soul Taker

I will take a random guess and say he'd wish he didn't have to be infalliable.  It sure would make his life easier I'd think.

Adron

Death - living forever must be unthinkably boring.

iago

There are many Gods.. the Christian god, Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, Augistine's interpretation of Christian, etc.
[Edit] Also Descarte's interpretation of God.. that one is the most believable in my opinion.

But generally, God's perfect anyway, so there would be no wish he could make that he couldn't do anyway..
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Hitmen

Christians, jews and muslims all worship the same god.

Death_Ryder

Worship the same God, techincally, yes.  But interpret him the same way?  No.  Interpretation has a lot to do with worship, so I'd have to disagree with you there.

~Death_Ryder

j0k3r

Don't muslims worship Allah? If that's the case, then no, they don't.

I started thinking about this when I saw a shooting star the other night, and wondered what God would wish for. He can do anything he wants... But what are his desires? What would make him really happy? Could he actually wish?
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Soul Taker

iago

Quote from: j0k3r on September 30, 2003, 06:30 AM
Don't muslims worship Allah? If that's the case, then no, they don't.

I started thinking about this when I saw a shooting star the other night, and wondered what God would wish for. He can do anything he wants... But what are his desires? What would make him really happy? Could he actually wish?

Allah is still their God.

And God doesn't have desires, they are a human emotion.  God doesn't have emotions.

iago

Which God we're talking about was never specified, so I'm talking about the only one I really know: Descartes' god, from his book "Meditations."

And no, I've never read the bible or went to church.

Adron

Well, I read a science fiction short story once... I don't fully remember it, but I think it was along this theme:

An "allmighty" conscient power binds intelligent beings to research for it. (this "God" apparently doesn't know everything)

In the end, what they end up researching (although the being doesn't direct them to it) is how to end the existence of that being. This is also what that being desires, having lived "forever" and not wanting to keep living an endless meaningless "life".

If anyone else has read the same story, please tell me who wrote it and where I can find it to reread it. Also tell me if I remember it completely wrong! :P

Hitmen

Allah is the arabic word for god. If a christian was speaking arabic they would refer to god as Allah.

joykillah

he'd ask for a new computer with a terabyte raid connected to it ;)
CCNA, CCNP, Senior Network, Systems, Security Administrator.  irc.darkexile.com which is also irc.valhallalegends.com #vL

http://www.darkkingz.com
http://www.darkexile.com

Arta

An innate part of a wish is desire. If you do not desire something, you do not wish you had it. Since God is all powerful, he would have the power to 'get' - although perhaps 'bring into being' would be a better way of putting it - anything he wanted. Therefore, the concept of a 'wish' to a deity would be meaningless. The question is therefore moot.

PS:

Death - living forever must be unthinkably boring.

God would have neither a concept of 'living' (since he does not die) nor of 'boredom'. Boredom is the result of a mind that is not interacting with anything, or performing any task. Since God is omnipresent and omnipotent, there could not possible *be* a moment when he *wasn't* interacting with something - unless the entire universe just 'stopped'.

iago

Yes, I agree with Arta.. that's pretty much what I said, he doesn't need a wish :)