• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Write 0's to HD

Started by Mesiah / haiseM, September 21, 2003, 05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkVirus

Is this a thread where we're gonna have to continue giving repeated or new answers until he stops asking? Btw, about the future rough situations, if you are capable or running a computer and having enough intelligence to ask questions on the forums, then you should be smart enough to take one of the... 5 or 6 ways Grok or I've posted to help you in those times. Or you could make it so that you get to a point with a future situation where you CAN use one of our suggestions. If not, I suggest bringing your system to a computer store or sending it back to the manufactuer for repair. Or in this case get a new HD sinse you can buy a new 80 or 120 gig WD drive from newegg for somwhere beteen 70 and 110 dollars.
To restrict ones ability to learn based on current surroundings means to never learn anything at all. - DarkVirus

Kp

Quote from: Grok on September 22, 2003, 11:19 PMThis is one of those threads where the question is answered repeatedly, but the person asking doesn't seem to get it.
but $t0rm hasn't answered yet!  No thread is complete until $t0rm answers and everyone ignores him. :)
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Thing

Kp is right.  $torm needs to stop playing with the Chinese and reply to this thread.
That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

lp_ql

I think the answer he is looking for is this:

If you boot from a hal91 image (a very small linux distro on a disk), you could use dd and /dev/zero to write zero's to a disc.

The syntax for this would be: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hd[a-z]
where [a-z] is the letter of the given hard-drive.
it will be a waste of time, but go ahead and play with it :)

-- lp_ql

Mesiah / haiseM

this post was complete some time ago, and i think some people mis-interpreted my ideals..

I had the floppy drive the whole time, i just wanted to KNOW if there was a way of going about it from a computer with no floppy, and no OS.

I have installed the floppy, and i am about to install windows server 2003, no linux crap for me, no offense.

Now i just need to find out what kind of boot disk to use..
]HighBrow Innovations
Coming soon...

AIM Online Status: 

Grok

Yoni

My motherboard has 2-3 pins missing (broken off?) in the floppy male connector on the motherboard.

If I connect a floppy drive to the board, I can read floppies fine, but an attempted write operation causes the system to freeze.

Needless to say, I have no problem with this :)

Banana fanna fo fanna

Uhh

Burn a bootable cdrom with knoppix on it and tell it to clear the partition table?

If not, magnets may get the desired effect.

iago

Quote from: St0rm.iD on September 28, 2003, 12:49 PM
If not, magnets may get the desired effect.

That's a good point!
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*