• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

I need to talk with a couple of the vl guys

Started by Liquid.Venice, July 03, 2003, 01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liquid.Venice

whoever knows all the other members best, maybe skywing or grok?

Its about whether or not it would be possible for vl to host a gamei type server for a small portion of the Starcraft community.

if you don't know what gamei is, it was a free server for competitive starcraft play based in korea, all the best players played it.

I myself am an extremely good starcraft player, I love the game.  This is why I am interested.  A seperate server could have a ladder system and maphack detection.  The point would be for the bestp layers to have a competitive environment to improve in.  

I don't know who of you would recognize this name, but my old alias was lil bo shepherd.  Skywing might remember me, and Im sure as hell artanis would.  Anyways thanks for the time, you guys just seemed like the right people to ask.

My email is relled51 at hotmail.com if you want to email me or add me to msn.

Raven

We ran an FSGS about a year or two ago, but then it basically fell through because we realized the limited fun wasn't worth all the hassle and trouble of maintaining it. I just doubt the organization as a whole would be willing to partake in such a project, but perhaps you could get a few members to maybe go with it.

Liquid.Venice

Costs would be taken care of, but I doubt payment(at least anything comparable to the amount the contributors would deserve) would be possible.

Grok

There are already such servers out there.  We generally refer to them as battle.net.

j0k3r

QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

iago

Without a patch to the actual game, it would be impossible to detect a maphack with just the server.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

j0k3r

Couldn't they pick up packets requesting for the map details going in and out of the server? That's what I've heard happens in diablo 2.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Raven

It's not quite that sophisticated in SC/BW however. D2 has to send packets insisting that the character has already explored all areas of the map, or that the character is currently in all places at once, or some other approach depending on the design. It's a bit simpler to get a maphack working in SC/BW. However, in the system we're talking about right now, an approach similar (or identical to) PunkBuster in CS might work fairly nicely. If the server maintains a "small" volume of users, I suspect it wouldn't be too difficult to stamp out cheating.

Liquid.Venice

It's obviously entirely possible, since gamei did it.

I actually know someone who claims he could do it.  He obviously knows something about the maphack programs theirselves, and writes a program that acts as the launcher to get onto the bnet-like server, and also disables the maphack program.

iago

Well, if you set it so you can see which units the other players are clicked on (like in team melee games), you can tell if the other players are clicking on units they shouldn't be able to click on.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

DarkMinion

Yoni

Quote from: iago on July 03, 2003, 05:37 PM
Without a patch to the actual game, it would be impossible to detect a maphack with just the server.
Quote from: Liquid.Venice on July 04, 2003, 12:07 AM
I actually know someone who claims he could do it.  He obviously knows something about the maphack programs theirselves, and writes a program that acts as the launcher to get onto the bnet-like server, and also disables the maphack program.
Sounds like it's a patch to the actual game and not just a special server.

Liquid.Venice

No, I believe it was a third party program.  Users could still play on battle.net as well.

Yoni

But not with the loader... Anyway, that's mostly semantics.

A server alone cannot have any anti-hack things in it (for Starcraft and Brood War, at least). You need modifications to the client. A loader provides these modifications in memory.

Raven

What we're basically trying to say, LV, is that I don't think anyone here would be interested/would be able to help you, but I wish you luck with this project. :)