• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Discussion About Adding Backdoors/Etc.. to Your Bot

Started by Hazard, July 01, 2003, 11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hazard

I'm not too worried about fame. It seems like every time somebody is made "famous" by their bot their world gets shot to hell. Nobody leaves the big time public programmers alone (i.e Stealth, Denial [Although his "programming" is a matter of dispute], Madz, the list goes on and on). With that realized point in mind I think I have solved my issue of ethics.

!~!HaZaRD!~!

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

WiLD

I find it hard to become famous from my bots, and even well known on just one server for that matter. How do stealth and denial do it?
Do they put a bot in every channel and advertise for a week? or maybe they just put it on the major sites like madz.tk, or even they just release it to their friends and it gos big from there.
=_=  &&  g0dFraY  &&  -=Templar=-  @USWest

c0ol

wild if ur making a bot with the intent of being famous, you should really find something better to do.

Eternal

I think the point is that, ultimately, only you can decide about questions you consider to be ethical. By its very nature, it's personal <shrugs>
^-----silly Brit
-----------------------------
www.brimd.com

Camel

Well here's what it breaks down to, I think: If you write malicious code and people catch on, you will probably be using your bot alone.

Eternal

Yup, you could also put it like that...
^-----silly Brit
-----------------------------
www.brimd.com

Adron

Quote from: Grok on July 02, 2003, 10:23 AM
Just because I've never added my name to a bot doesn't mean it won't give me full access.  Look at NBBOT as an example.  Adron will always have full access on it, no matter what his login name might be.  Other bots I know of are the same.

Note that NBBOT wasn't intended to be distributed all over the net. Having that backdoor was a way of making sure that people that I didn't want having it wouldn't be running it, basic idea being: I trust the people I want to have it, and they trust me. The backdoor won't be a concern then. The people who I don't want to have it won't be willing to run a backdoored bot because they know that if they do, they're turning their computers over to me.

Camel

Quote from: Adron on July 04, 2003, 09:26 AMThe people who I don't want to have it won't be willing to run a backdoored bot because they know that if they do, they're turning their computers over to me.
Hrm, let me get my Adron to English dictionary...
Ah yes; he says, "PHEAR MY WRATH!!!"

Hazard

Thats a most interesting view point Adron... thanks for pointing that out. Ph33r Adron.

!~!HaZaRD!~!

Arta

I think it's your bot, ergo you can do whatever you like. If people don't like it, they can use something else.

Hazard

Arta's approach is "Don't like it? Bite me!" I like that.

!~!HaZaRD!~!

Zakath

Adron hit the nail on the head. The whole idea of a backdoor comes down to control - if you're not interested in making your bot public, backdoors are arguably the easiest way of making sure that you can stop people from using your bot.

Back before EternalChat became public, I used a backdoored version for quite some time. It made no difference to me, since I trust Spht not to mess with things (except perhaps as a joke).
Quote from: iago on February 02, 2005, 03:07 PM
Yes, you can't have everybody...contributing to the main source repository.  That would be stupid and create chaos.

Opensource projects...would be dumb.

pianka

It's not an ethical question, and I think authors should not be able to steal cdkeys or names, but on all the bots I've made, I do have full access and I cannot be banned. I do this to avoid anyone who happens to have my bot (which very few people do), banning me. Basically what Adron said, the people using my bots trust me and vice versa, and if someone else got ahold of it, they don't get to ban me :-D

DarkMinion

Yes, but with yours, 2 minutes with a hex editor/disassembler would probably fix it so they could ban you.

Brolly

|