• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Programming Languages in 10 years

Started by Huendin, April 08, 2008, 04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warrior

Quote from: Banana fanna fo fanna on April 09, 2008, 08:05 PM
Quote from: Huendin on April 08, 2008, 08:15 PM
A saw a lot of replies of C++. I talked to my professor today and he said that colleges tend to focus on C# rather than C++ to try to lure students away from the malicious possibilities that come with knowledge of C++. That's how it seems to be with Purdue. Does that seem to be true in your area/college?

Everyone here is going to try to push their own agenda. Java is the primary teaching language at universities. Furthermore, for better or worse, most mainstream language developments these days are based on Java. You can't go wrong with Java.

This is coming from a sophomore at Cornell currently taking grad CS courses.

As much as I like C#, I'd tend to agree. Once you know Java though, C# is a cakewalk.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Newby

The APCS test is in Java, so eh, I guess it is.
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

MyndFyre

Oh, sorry.  My stuff is coming from an actual grad student taking actual grad CS courses at Arizona State.  Me.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

warz

Are you two seriously dropping school names, and what year you are in college, now? lol.

Be real. It's obviously going to be different depending on whatever university you attend. In fact, everything said in this thread applies to mine. There are courses that focus on C++, and others on Java. I haven't seen one for C#, but I do know there's one that allows you to choose whichever language you want, and then you get to use it throughout the semester. There's even Visual Basic courses!

I'm sorry to burst a bubble, or two, but being a computer science student at x university doesn't make your degree plan any sort of standard.

Besides, I prefer the very comfortable, holy war topic of why emacs sucks, and vim owns

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on April 10, 2008, 01:31 AM
Oh, sorry.  My stuff is coming from an actual grad student taking actual grad CS courses at Arizona State.  Me.

I wasn't trying to be a douchebag, douchebag. Just trying to separate my/ourselves from the RealityRipples of the world.

Kp

Quote from: UserLoser on April 08, 2008, 12:09 PM
not like you have to install c++ on your computer windows comes with all the runtime libraries

This hasn't been true for a while.  The Visual C++ .NET 2003 and Visual C++ .NET 2005 C and C++ runtimes aren't present on Windows XP, even with all optional updates applied.  It's the vendor's responsibility to statically link the runtimes or distribute them with the application.

I talked to my professor today and he said that colleges tend to focus on C# rather than C++ to try to lure students away from the malicious possibilities that come with knowledge of C++. That's how it seems to be with Purdue. Does that seem to be true in your area/college?

What drugs are they feeding your professors?  "Malicious possibilities" that come with C++?

My recommendation, for what it's worth: pick up Java and C++.  You'll almost certainly need Java to get through college, and having both C++ and Java will be a big help when you get to the real world.  The Microsoft .NET languages are just a Java rip-off anyway, so learning Java is a good first step to mastering .NET if you need to do that. ;)
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Warrior

Quote from: Kp on April 10, 2008, 10:45 PM
What drugs are they feeding your professors?  "Malicious possibilities" that come with C++?

I think he meant the possibility for exploitation in native versus managed languages. There's a lot of potential for security flaws due to the powerful nature of the language.
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: Warrior on April 10, 2008, 11:21 PM

I think he meant the possibility for exploitation in native versus managed languages. There's a lot of potential for security flaws due to the powerful nature of the language.

I guess. That's a shitty reason for ignoring C++, though.

warz

people just got lazy over time and java started looking real nice.

Warrior

Quote from: Banana fanna fo fanna on April 10, 2008, 11:35 PM

You're right, there's much better reasons to avoid it ;).

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: Warrior on April 11, 2008, 12:01 AM
Quote from: Banana fanna fo fanna on April 10, 2008, 11:35 PM

You're right, there's much better reasons to avoid it ;).

indeed

Huendin

Quote from: FrostWraith on April 09, 2008, 09:31 PM
A saw a lot of replies of C++. I talked to my professor today and he said that colleges tend to focus on C# rather than C++ to try to lure students away from the malicious possibilities that come with knowledge of C++. That's how it seems to be with Purdue. Does that seem to be true in your area/college?
I go to purdue and it seems that all my engineering courses have C/++ mainly integrated with it.

Ahh yeah most of our engineering classes teach a little bit of C++. Well thanks for all of your answers. I'm going to go through them again, and do a little more research within my own college as to what classes are offered. Thanks again.

MyndFyre

FWIW, I'd recommend picking up Java or C#.  While I think C# has a generally cleaner syntax, as learning purposes go, they'll teach you far more about object-oriented programming than C++ will, at least while you're learning.  I don't think I'd be nearly as effective a C++ programmer today if I didn't have that background.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Grok

I know I'm bumping a 4-month old post, but I'll do it anyway.  I've been doing Java programming for about 3 years.  This summer I got into C# a lot more, and while not far into it, I have some preferences already.

The biggest difference for me so far, is creating and consuming C# accessor and mutator methods feel a lot more natural than in Java.  Perhaps my bias comes from having used classic VB for years, but I just don't like
Java's:
  MyObject.setMyProperty(value)
  value=MyObject.getMyProperty()
as much as
C#'s:
  MyObject.MyProperty = value;
  value = MyObject.MyProperty

With Java, you end up with twice the number of method names than in C#, creating the impression that your classes are a lot more complicated than necessary.

Oh and a pet peeve, most Java book authors frequently mistake PascalCase for camelCase when discussing naming conventions.

Joe[x86]

Quote from: UserLoser on April 08, 2008, 12:09 PM
C/C++ will be around forever.  Java is popular but nasty.  who wants to install another extra program and more (talking about java it self here) just to run a single program.  not like you have to install c++ on your computer windows comes with all the runtime libraries

You mean I have to install libc? Madness!
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

|