• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Programming Languages in 10 years

Started by Huendin, April 08, 2008, 04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huendin

What's a couple good programming languages that are worth going to college for?..as in still going to be around, obviously remodeled, in 10 years.

warz

Most colleges right now tend to mess around with Java, and C++, I think.

UserLoser

C/C++ will be around forever.  Java is popular but nasty.  who wants to install another extra program and more (talking about java it self here) just to run a single program.  not like you have to install c++ on your computer windows comes with all the runtime libraries

warz

Java isn't that bad if you step out of the stone ages for a second. How many other languages require 'extra programs' before they work properly? Plenty of popular ones do.

Quote from: UserLoser on April 08, 2008, 12:09 PM
who wants to install another extra program and more (talking about java it self here) just to run a single program.  not like you have to install c++ on your computer windows comes with all the runtime libraries

errrr

But, on a side note, you probably won't get to choose to goto school for any specific language of your choice. In my bs comp. sci. degree plan, most courses use Java until you get to the upper level courses, and there you're introduced to C++. There's only one course where you get to choose any language you want, and you have to make some semester long project with it.

Falcon[anti-yL]

Same here, the first two comp sci. courses both teach Java.

Barabajagal

C/C++ will be around forever.  Java is popular but nasty.  who wants to install another extra program and more (talking about java it self here) just to run a single program.  not like you have to install c++ on your computer windows comes with all the runtime libraries
Same reasoning goes for .NET languages... plus they update the runtime package every few years, and it always seems to be bigger...

The nice thing about Java is it's quite similar to C-based languages. The nicer thing about C is there are lots of languages based on it. It's like Latin: you suddenly can sort of understand a lot of languages that didn't make sense before.

warz

For me it's a concept, thing. Syntax is just something you can pick up as you go, as long as you understand fundamental concepts of programming. Most of us here understand these concepts, but there's people out there that literally can't even comprehend programming at all.

C++ does make it a little easy to see these concepts in action. Higher level languages sort of hide certain things, because a lot of stuff "just works." I think if I were going to recommend a first language to somebody, I'd say Java because it's more friendly than C++, at first, but still gives you that nice syntax introduction. (probably why schools choose to use it)

I've often wonder if there's any 'cutting edge' programming languages out there right now, though. I remember when C# was first being introduced, and I was like "no way it'll ever become popular."

Warrior

Quote from: Andy on April 08, 2008, 02:11 PM
Same reasoning goes for .NET languages... plus they update the runtime package every few years, and it always seems to be bigger...

The nice thing about Java is it's quite similar to C-based languages. The nicer thing about C is there are lots of languages based on it. It's like Latin: you suddenly can sort of understand a lot of languages that didn't make sense before.

.NET ships by default with Windows from Vista on. That's not really an issue moving forward, and even so the runtime is not that big. The SDK may be, but the runtime is pretty small.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Barabajagal

While Dial up connection statistics may be dropping, I was on it for long enough to continue to pity those who are still on it now (15%?). I suppose that biases my judgment a little.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Warrior on April 08, 2008, 05:34 PM
.NET ships by default with Windows from Vista on. That's not really an issue moving forward, and even so the runtime is not that big. The SDK may be, but the runtime is pretty small.
Based on what?  3.5 on an OOB XPSP2 machine was 63mb for the downloaded "live" installer and 197mb for the "offline" installer; Java's offline installer was only 15.7mb.

That doesn't change my opinion that C# is a great programming language or that .NET is a great framework.  But let's be realistic.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Huendin

A saw a lot of replies of C++. I talked to my professor today and he said that colleges tend to focus on C# rather than C++ to try to lure students away from the malicious possibilities that come with knowledge of C++. That's how it seems to be with Purdue. Does that seem to be true in your area/college?

MyndFyre

Quote from: Huendin on April 08, 2008, 08:15 PM
A saw a lot of replies of C++. I talked to my professor today and he said that colleges tend to focus on C# rather than C++ to try to lure students away from the malicious possibilities that come with knowledge of C++. That's how it seems to be with Purdue. Does that seem to be true in your area/college?

Arizona State has classes geared mostly towards Java and C#.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Everyone here is going to try to push their own agenda. Java is the primary teaching language at universities. Furthermore, for better or worse, most mainstream language developments these days are based on Java. You can't go wrong with Java.

This is coming from a sophomore at Cornell currently taking grad CS courses.

FrostWraith

I go to purdue and it seems that all my engineering courses have C/++ mainly integrated with it.