• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Interesting articles about Windows and Linux

Started by Invert, March 29, 2008, 08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barabajagal

There are three reasons I use Linux. One is Amarok. Another is so I can screw around with my programs in WINE. The third is Kopete is more compatible with IM clients than Trillian. so on the off chance I want to use a webcam, or want to listen to music and get lyrics for the songs instantly, I get on Linux.

K

Quote from: UserLoser on April 08, 2008, 02:09 PM
still in college, but i just take C++ classes nothing else so far.  haven't even heard of linux in forever until i saw this thread.

That's strange.  Every CS labs on campus here runs RHEL.  Pretty much every programming assignment I was given was designed to be done either on a unix-based machine or under cygwin.   And in June when I start work, I'll be working on a linux workstation writing code to run on unix-based systems. 

The 'regular joe' may not know about Linux yet, but there are a lot of people who aren't in cs/engineering circles who have. 

MrRaza

I've dealth with alot of networking equipment being in the IT ifnrstructure field.

I've come across a few custom linux embedded routers, and they seem to work alot more efficently and smoothly and in some cases provide better security than their counter-parts like the Cisco Catalyst series. I definately agree that linux is better in some situtations than windows.

Warrior

Quote from: iago on April 08, 2008, 07:03 AM
Quote from: Warrior on April 08, 2008, 05:50 AM
Quote from: K on April 08, 2008, 02:05 AM
RPM? Deb? What's that? I can just use Applications->Add/Remove Programs or System->Package Manager to install applications.  I realize that's less ideal than having to visit some third party website and run arbitrary executables with administrative privileges, but I get by. 

To compare Apples to Apples, Vista has a priviledge escalation mechanism to allow lesser priviledged users to do everyday things and acts as an additional security net for these types of attacks.

Unless of course, you want to compare a Linux Distro from five years ago to Windows XP, which would be the fair comparison.
I don't see how that matters. When you're installing an executable on Windows, you're elevating it anyways.

Well for one, UAC raises flags based on the integrity of an Application. Not only does it (assuming you're running Windows Defender) check it through a black list of known Spyware/Adware, but it also displays different dialogs for different types of Application, mostly based on if they're a known company/developer/program or not.

Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Warrior

Quote from: iago on April 08, 2008, 01:29 PM
Quote from: UserLoser on April 08, 2008, 12:03 PM
the whole world (someone will bitch about this, so let's say a HUGE majority) will always use windows in schools and small businesse..  everyone knows how to use a computer that has microsoft on it.  i never even seen a computer in person that had linux on it...nobody i know use it except you "internet people" and i take computer science classes at school.  hardly anyone seems to use it cause they realize the whole open sourced OS stuff is lame-o and windows is always advancing and having newer better software out the next year.  stick your average high school girl on they will be lost :P
But you hit a good point about everybody knowing how to use computers with "microsoft" on it -- a lot of people I know growing up had Windows installed on their computers, usually pirated versions. However, these people don't want to move to Vista because of Microsoft's anti-piracy campaigns, so they're starting to look at other OSes. I think that's going to hurt them in the future, since a lot of younger people won't be as accustomed to Windows.

A huge chunk of Windows Sales come from OEM vendors. Do you think the user really cares about anti-piracy efforts? Especially since with Vista SP1 / XP SP3, WGA has been nerfed significantly.

I'd say it's a small few who move to different Operating Systems, that same small few are the ones who reiterate why Windows sucks and <Insert their Operating System here> is the best thing to ever happen.

There is absolutely no chance for Linux to gain any traction on the Desktop in it's current form. No distro is user friendly enough, but some are genuinely trying.  OSX is also in the same dillema, people like the Operating System but not the closed Ecosystem.

So in the end, no OS targets the user base that Windows does. The positions in the market will not change until another Operating System seriously attacks Windows in the same market it competes in, and doesn't appeal to some high end luxury niche market.
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

iago

Quote from: Warrior on April 08, 2008, 05:06 PM
Well for one, UAC raises flags based on the integrity of an Application. Not only does it (assuming you're running Windows Defender) check it through a black list of known Spyware/Adware, but it also displays different dialogs for different types of Application, mostly based on if they're a known company/developer/program or not.
I know there's no point with arguing anything Windows with you, so I'll just leave this alone.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

iago

Quote from: Warrior on April 08, 2008, 05:11 PM
A huge chunk of Windows Sales come from OEM vendors. Do you think the user really cares about anti-piracy efforts? Especially since with Vista SP1 / XP SP3, WGA has been nerfed significantly.

I'd say it's a small few who move to different Operating Systems, that same small few are the ones who reiterate why Windows sucks and <Insert their Operating System here> is the best thing to ever happen.

There is absolutely no chance for Linux to gain any traction on the Desktop in it's current form. No distro is user friendly enough, but some are genuinely trying.  OSX is also in the same dillema, people like the Operating System but not the closed Ecosystem.

So in the end, no OS targets the user base that Windows does. The positions in the market will not change until another Operating System seriously attacks Windows in the same market it competes in, and doesn't appeal to some high end luxury niche market.
The people who build their own computer (and, thus, don't get OEM) are the geeks. The same geeks who are going to be in IT positions in the future. That's why I think it will make a big difference.

UserLoser

Quote from: iago on April 08, 2008, 08:02 PM

The people who build their own computer (and, thus, don't get OEM) are the geeks. The same geeks who are going to be in IT positions in the future. That's why I think it will make a big difference.

i built my own computer

Warrior

Quote from: iago on April 08, 2008, 08:02 PM

They are not "Average Joe" users, and they do not matter statistically when it comes to Desktop dominance. That's the scope of this argument, per the first post.

Going off and pointing out select groups of people who support alternative Operating Systems is the same broken mentality which has stagnated the Desktop Linux's growth.

warz

linux never ate its vegetables as a child.

Invert

You're joking, right? :P

This turned into another Linux vs. Windows thread. Thanks to Kp for completely missing the point and hijacking this thread. Now this is one more *yawn* Linux vs. Windows thread in all its glory. You have the Linux elitists and the Windows defenders battling it out...this is new and refreshing *yawn* (again).

Newby

Quote from: Andy on April 08, 2008, 02:12 PM
There are three reasons I use Linux. One is Amarok. Another is so I can screw around with my programs in WINE. The third is Kopete is more compatible with IM clients than Trillian. so on the off chance I want to use a webcam, or want to listen to music and get lyrics for the songs instantly, I get on Linux.

amaroK sucks. It ran super slow and bloated (3.4 GHz 1024MB RAM PC) and had lots of bugs last time I tried it (~2 years ago). Pidgin > Kopete. xmms > amaroK. And Gnome > KDE... but I hate DEs. I'd rather use just a WM like fluxbox.

And I'd rather actually get programs up and running than screw around with them in Wine. Know why they call it wine? When people can't get their Windows programs running under wine, they w[h]ine about it.
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

iago

Quote from: Warrior on April 08, 2008, 09:27 PM
They are not "Average Joe" users, and they do not matter statistically when it comes to Desktop dominance. That's the scope of this argument, per the first post.

Going off and pointing out select groups of people who support alternative Operating Systems is the same broken mentality which has stagnated the Desktop Linux's growth.
You obviously either didn't read what I said, or you're trying to spur a reaction. I'll assume the latter and not continue.

Quote from: Invert on April 09, 2008, 12:22 AM
You're joking, right? :P
This turned into another Linux vs. Windows thread. Thanks to Kp for completely missing the point and hijacking this thread. Now this is one more *yawn* Linux vs. Windows thread in all its glory. You have the Linux elitists and the Windows defenders battling it out...this is new and refreshing *yawn* (again).
How can you expect to post a thread saying, "Windows is better" and NOT create a Windows-vs-Linux debate?

Warrior

Quote from: iago on April 09, 2008, 09:19 AM
Quote from: Warrior on April 08, 2008, 09:27 PM

You obviously either didn't read what I said, or you're trying to spur a reaction. I'll assume the latter and not continue.

Read the first post, then read the entire scope of this argument. Once you've done that you're welcome to try again.

Barabajagal

Quote from: Newby on April 09, 2008, 12:42 AM
Quote from: Andy on April 08, 2008, 02:12 PM

amaroK sucks. It ran super slow and bloated (3.4 GHz 1024MB RAM PC) and had lots of bugs last time I tried it (~2 years ago). Pidgin > Kopete. xmms > amaroK. And Gnome > KDE... but I hate DEs. I'd rather use just a WM like fluxbox.
All are opinions, and all I disagree with. Thanks for contributing nothing except argument. This forum really sucks.

|