• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Re: Open source C++ Bot

Started by iNsaNe, September 26, 2007, 09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Warrior

Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

iNsaNe

Yeah, I'm back to C#. I'm much further with it in C# anyways but I just thought I'd try out C++ to learn it a little.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Learning C++ does not involved managed .NET C++.

Warrior

Quote from: iNsaNe on October 04, 2007, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I'm back to C#. I'm much further with it in C# anyways but I just thought I'd try out C++ to learn it a little.

It's like going from a Supermodel to a Hooker. C++ is a nasty language, only the weak use it.

Are you weak?
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Don Cullen

I beg to digress. Using C++ is a good way to ensure portability between platforms, such as between Windows and Linux. To date, C# isn't quite portable for the Linux platform, unless one makes use of Mono. And even then, Mono is still in the developmental stages. Until Mono becomes fully developed, C++ is the best option for developers. Managed .NET C++ however isn't a good option, because that'd still require the use of Mono if one wanted to port it to the Linux platform.
Regards,
Don
-------

Don't wonder why people suddenly are hostile when you treat them the way they shouldn't be- it's called 'Mutual Respect'.

warz

Camel

Quote from: Warrior on October 04, 2007, 10:19 PM

It's like going from a Supermodel to a Hooker. C++ is a nasty language, only the weak use it.

Are you weak?

No, it has its place. If you're writing an operating system, or a high performance DBMS, you should use C/C++. In any other case, you should use a higher level language.

Don Cullen

Quote from: Camel on October 05, 2007, 09:34 AM
No, it has its place. If you're writing an operating system, or a high performance DBMS, you should use C/C++.

Or also in cases of portability.
Regards,
Don
-------

Don't wonder why people suddenly are hostile when you treat them the way they shouldn't be- it's called 'Mutual Respect'.

Warrior

Are you weak?

No, it has its place. If you're writing an operating system, or a high performance DBMS, you should use C/C++. In any other case, you should use a higher level language.
Quote from: Don Cullen on October 06, 2007, 08:36 AM
No, it has its place. If you're writing an operating system, or a high performance DBMS, you should use C/C++.

Or also in cases of portability.

C/C++ is only portable if you code in a portable manner. This includes using cross platform UI kits and the like. It may be portable in the sense that it has no runtime but it's certainly not a compile once run anywhere type situation.

Warrior

Are you weak?

This was mostly a joke, but I agree with you here for the most part. I really yearn for the day where C/C++ is restricted to low level programming, and with some higher level code earlier on in the kernel. The advantages are there, both in Java and C#.

Let's make stuff modern imo.

Krush[LM]

Are you weak?

Most games are coded in C/C++ so I wouldn't call it weak.

warz

Quote from: Krush[LM] on October 29, 2007, 12:37 PMMost games are coded in C/C++ so I wouldn't call it weak.

I'm not sure how much validity that holds now days, though.

Krush[LM]

Quote from: betawarz on October 29, 2007, 01:02 PM
Quote from: Krush[LM] on October 29, 2007, 12:37 PMMost games are coded in C/C++ so I wouldn't call it weak.

Well at my company and at all the companies I talk to they use mostly C but sometimes limited C++.  I know Sony is using C/C++ and Nintendo does it for DS (one of my current titles).

MyndFyre

Pretty much all major titles are written in C or C++.  Even nowadays.

There are a lot of things that C# simply can't do - for instance, let's look at using SSE.  C# really can't express any way to even hint at using it. 

C++ also has support libraries for intrinsic garbage collection (it's not terribly hard to do).  C# has a much cleaner syntax, but C++ can be much more expressive; for instance, it allows for partial specialization with templates, and it also permits non-type parameters for templates. 

If I had the option, I might choose D as an alternative to C or C++.  For an indie title, C# might be a viable option.  But for a commercial title, I'm not feeling it when it comes to C#.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Warrior

Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on October 29, 2007, 02:44 PM

Pretty much all major titles are written in C or C++.  Even nowadays.

There are a lot of things that C# simply can't do - for instance, let's look at using SSE.  C# really can't express any way to even hint at using it. 

C++ also has support libraries for intrinsic garbage collection (it's not terribly hard to do).  C# has a much cleaner syntax, but C++ can be much more expressive; for instance, it allows for partial specialization with templates, and it also permits non-type parameters for templates. 

If I had the option, I might choose D as an alternative to C or C++.  For an indie title, C# might be a viable option.  But for a commercial title, I'm not feeling it when it comes to C#.

I'm not feeling you.

|