• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Set Process Name

Started by ioSys, August 09, 2007, 10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ioSys

I have made an VB6 application that dont use any forms that is compiled to an .EXE file. I will run more instances of this application at the same time and wants to be able to stop the right one. Normally I cant see wich one is wich in "process explorer". Is it possible for me to set the name of the process when I start my application?

I can see that in the .VBP file there is a part: Title="SendApp" that defines the name of the process.

It would help me a lot if I was able to terminate the right one by being able to see what one is the one to terminate.
SendApp1
SendApp2
SendApp3

Sorry for bad english =)

Thanks in advance

brew

I don't think there's absolutely way to tell apart the applications by their image name only (PID will help, though) and I don't think it's modifiable on runtime either.... sorry :/
<3 Zorm
Quote[01:08:05 AM] <@Zorm> haha, me get pussy? don't kid yourself quik
Scio te esse, sed quid sumne? :P

ioSys

Thanks for your reply. Anyone else that knows if what I want to do is possible or not?

rabbit

You could write the app as ProcName____ or whatever and then write a loader that modifies the executable with a UID or something.
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

raylu

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx
procexp will show you when they were started, along with a ton of other information if you pick Properties from the context menu.
Pie?

ioSys

Quote from: rabbit on August 10, 2007, 06:55 AM
You could write the app as ProcName____ or whatever and then write a loader that modifies the executable with a UID or something.

Nice solution, Rabbit. It is not supposed to do it another "cleaner" way via API or such? I try this solution.

Raylu, I try that app. Even though it doesent solve my problem.

Thank you for helping!

Now my little loader is complete and working! =) Thanks for the help!