• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Take a walk back through time..

Started by Joe[x86], June 09, 2007, 10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe[x86]

I'm not old enough to remember any of this, but back in the original days of Diablo, did Battle.net support IRC clients? I know Telnet was dropped recently, but there's been some commotion about whether or not IRC was actually supported, since a few old bots (I can't cite any off-hand) supported it as a client.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

Barabajagal

Not to my knowledge, no. It's most likely that an IRC client was included within the bot. I was planning on adding AIM/MSN/YIM/ICQ/IRC support to my bot, but I'm sort of done with protocols for a while.

Zorm

There were actually a lot of bots built off of mIRC since it has socket support as part of its scripting language. Several people therefore wrote bots in it using the telnet gateway to connect to battle.net.
Later on after the telnet gateway as made more or less unusable people wrote 'binary gateways' that were basically locally hosted severs which translated between the telnet gateway and the binary connection that the games use so that the mIRC clients and other bots could continue to operate.
"Now, gentlemen, let us do something today which the world make talk of hereafter."
- Admiral Lord Collingwood

Joe[x86]

Ah, alright. Zorm's explanation sounds pretty good, considering most people wouldn't realize they were bridged through a plugin and not using IRC itself.

Thanks!
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

warz

The good ole days of Massbot, and Heresy. Who didn't write their own mirc-based chat client? :P

Denial

Ya i would have to agree. There was a popular bot among people who 'warred" called hershey bot made by rosethorn from ~TG|{~ Which had mirc built onto it.
Actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea

Spht

Yeah.  I believe Rosethorn wrote a mIRC script called Heresy also that was mainly used for warring

Denial

Quote from: Spht on June 12, 2007, 08:03 AM
Yeah.  I believe Rosethorn wrote a mIRC script called Heresy also that was mainly used for warring

Didn't i just say that spht...

Invert

There was someone before her that used a mIRC client to connect to Battle.net. Early ]I[.bots were based on Roses script.

Battle.net was based on an IRC server.

Spht

Quote from: Denial on June 12, 2007, 10:17 AM

haha! exactly the response i wanted!

Denial

Quote from: Spht on June 12, 2007, 11:21 AM

Explicit

Quote from: Denial on June 12, 2007, 01:02 PM

Hershey != Heresy
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

vuther.de

Hahaha, I love you Denial.

Hero

Please refrain from posting macros.

Rule

When she switched to TG|{, Rosethorn released a bunch of stuff that she is now credited for but was almost entirely stolen from then only privately distributed ]I[ bots.
Prior to the ]I[ bots was the RM bot, also an mIRC script.