• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Lockdown vs. the old system?

Started by Banana fanna fo fanna, May 23, 2007, 01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

warz

well, in certain situations it may be nice to know why they're doing something, but in lockdown's case why really just isn't. heh

brew

errrr.... yeah...
aren't taking a screenshot, and taking binary data from the direct draw buffer two different things?
i'm also pretty sure there are absolutely no hacks that edit the ui at the logon screen. that'd just be retarded.
also.... i was able to log on just fine using oblivion starcraft map-hack, with Brood War. And guess what, it didn't edit the ui at the battle.net logon screen. I really don't think blizzard could be that stupid. There must be a different reason for this...
<3 Zorm
Quote[01:08:05 AM] <@Zorm> haha, me get pussy? don't kid yourself quik
Scio te esse, sed quid sumne? :P

Hdx

Quote from: brew on May 25, 2007, 08:52 AMaren't taking a screenshot, and taking binary data from the direct draw buffer two different things?
As I said above, NO.
Its just what happens AFTER that data is retrieved that differs.
And I know quite a few mods to SC that edit the login/connecting screen. Which are now dead due to lockdown. (Mainly the space mod which made the Bnet interface 2x as big, to allow easier chatting)

And yes, I do believe that it was stupid of them NOT to look for Oblivion.dll... It's the most popular hack I know of, and they could of easily put it into lockdown. But whatever.
Once again, nobody knows WHY Blizzard does what they do, and doesn't do what they don't!
~Hdx

Proud host of the JBLS server www.JBLS.org.
JBLS.org Status:
JBLS/BNLS Server Status

brew

I don't know very much about this but.... in a screenshot, doesn't windows just take the bit block which is the screen and dumps it into a file? where a direct draw buffer more the less contains cpu instructions for drawing the image instead of actually being the image? ....errr.. whatever.
So what kind of hacks did modify the UI logon screen? and how? it's pretty easy to avoid. and by the way, oblivion.dll makes no such ui modifications to the logon screen, which is what it dumps the buffer of anyways. it's basically useless. people can either just load their h4x after the logon, or the hack maker just doesn't modify the ui out-of-game at all, like oblivion.
<3 Zorm
Quote[01:08:05 AM] <@Zorm> haha, me get pussy? don't kid yourself quik
Scio te esse, sed quid sumne? :P

iago

It uses similar functions to a screenshot, likely to get the data to where it belongs.

The reason for the screenshot is likely to make bot-writer more difficult. It raised the bar a bit, in terms of calling the .dll function from a bot's code, but is extremely easy to circumvent. It probably seemed like a great idea at the time.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

warz

yeah, it's probably the easiest of the hurdles presented in lockdown. :p

Rob

Only portions of the video buffer are used.
Rob@USEast