• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Quick Question: CDKeys with letters in them

Started by Don Cullen, February 18, 2007, 09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Don Cullen

Up to date, I've been working only on coding in support for SEXP, now I'm working on coding in support for D2 and D2LOD; I noticed that the cdkeys have letters and I started wondering:

For sending them to BNLS for hashing, do they have to be of a certain case (upper or lower)? Or is it case insensitive?
Regards,
Don
-------

Don't wonder why people suddenly are hostile when you treat them the way they shouldn't be- it's called 'Mutual Respect'.

l2k-Shadow

Quote from: Kyro on February 18, 2007, 09:38 PM
Up to date, I've been working only on coding in support for SEXP, now I'm working on coding in support for D2 and D2LOD; I noticed that the cdkeys have letters and I started wondering:

For sending them to BNLS for hashing, do they have to be of a certain case (upper or lower)? Or is it case insensitive?

should convert all cd-keys to upper case prior to hashing
Quote from: replaced on November 04, 2006, 11:54 AM
I dunno wat it means, someone tell me whats ix86 and pmac?
Can someone send me a working bot source (with bnls support) to my email?  Then help me copy and paste it to my bot? ;D
Já jsem byl určenej abych tady žil,
Dával si ovar, křen a k tomu pivo pil.
Tam by ses povídaj jak prase v žitě měl,
Já nechci před nikym sednout si na prdel.

Já nejsem z USA, já nejsem z USA, já vážně nejsem z USA... a snad se proto na mě nezloběj.

Don Cullen

Thanks. Closing thread. :)

[Edit]

BreW PM'ed me saying this:

Quote from: BreW on February 18, 2007, 10:07 PM
In response to the CDKey topic, (which you closed so quick) Acually it is case insensitive. Really. If anything, though, it should be LCase()'d, just like a battle.net password.

So I'm reopening this thread to see what people have to say.
Regards,
Don
-------

Don't wonder why people suddenly are hostile when you treat them the way they shouldn't be- it's called 'Mutual Respect'.

Spht

Quote from: Kyro on February 18, 2007, 09:41 PM

Enough of the excessive closing of your own topics.

This is a discussions board, not necessarily an "ask question - get answer - move on" board.  When you start a topic, you're opening a discussion.  Just because you found out what you wanted, doesn't mean other people don't have anything to say.

Don Cullen

Regards,
Don
-------

l2k-Shadow

Quote from: Kyro on February 18, 2007, 09:41 PM

[Edit]

BreW PM'ed me saying this:

Quote from: BreW on February 18, 2007, 10:07 PM
In response to the CDKey topic, (which you closed so quick) Acually it is case insensitive. Really. If anything, though, it should be LCase()'d, just like a battle.net password.

So I'm reopening this thread to see what people have to say.

Unlike passwords, which are converted to lower case, Blizzard's code converts cd-keys to upper case so I would too.
Can someone send me a working bot source (with bnls support) to my email?  Then help me copy and paste it to my bot? ;D

Já nejsem z USA, já nejsem z USA, já vážně nejsem z USA... a snad se proto na mě nezloběj.

brew

Interesting. For what client(s) did you find this to be true? And how did you find this in the first place?
<3 Zorm
Quote[01:08:05 AM] <@Zorm> haha, me get pussy? don't kid yourself quik
Scio te esse, sed quid sumne? :P

l2k-Shadow

IIRC, someone before made a post on this forum which said that Blizzard uses a single function to decode cd-keys for clients because they convert the key to upper case whether it's all numbers or contains letters as well... You could probably search for it.

But if you think about it, the installers convert your key to upper case when you type it in, and not to mention, the key comes upper case on the cd case of the game.. so..

Don Cullen

Makes sense. Now to wait for BNLS to come back up so I can implement this... :p
Regards,
Don
-------

brew

@Shadow: I do believe it is a better idea to uppercase the letters of a cdkey, not only because it looks more orderly but because, here it is, in the decode function itself.
And as for the cdkey being uppercase on the case, it's printed in as a uniform, no-caps "font" if you will made for specifically for packaging. Since there are no lower case letters in that entire font, Blizzard assumes the end user will enter it anyway. It doesn't matter, because the installer probably UCase()'s it anyways.
Even though we established it really, doesn't matter at all what the cdkey is. I assume Kyro is using BNCSUtil to decode his cdkey, and it uppercases it anyways.
@Kyro, why are you using BNLS to connect? To be honest, you should use the checkrevision database like I have along with everyone else for the past month ffs. And use local hashing for clients such as d2dv and war3.
<3 Zorm
Quote[01:08:05 AM] <@Zorm> haha, me get pussy? don't kid yourself quik
Scio te esse, sed quid sumne? :P

rabbit

Why?  BNLS exists for a reason.  I actually prefer BNLS over local hashing, because then my bots don't require users to get new hash files after every release, and I don't need to update and release my bot every time a game gets patched.
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

Don Cullen

Quote from: brew on February 19, 2007, 04:29 PM
@Shadow: I do believe it is a better idea to uppercase the letters of a cdkey, not only because it looks more orderly but because, here it is, in the decode function itself.
And as for the cdkey being uppercase on the case, it's printed in as a uniform, no-caps "font" if you will made for specifically for packaging. Since there are no lower case letters in that entire font, Blizzard assumes the end user will enter it anyway. It doesn't matter, because the installer probably UCase()'s it anyways.
Even though we established it really, doesn't matter at all what the cdkey is. I assume Kyro is using BNCSUtil to decode his cdkey, and it uppercases it anyways.
@Kyro, why are you using BNLS to connect? To be honest, you should use the checkrevision database like I have along with everyone else for the past month ffs. And use local hashing for clients such as d2dv and war3.

Incorrect -- I use BNLS to hash the cdkey. And I use BNLS because I prefer not to force the users to have to worry about local hashing. I also prefer not to have to frequently update my program whenever a patch occurs. When the lockdown reversal/bypass does get released by someone into the public domain, then I'll add in local hashing support. Until then, BNLS it is. If BNLS goes down, the users won't die, and it won't be the end of the world. They can live until BNLS comes back up.

Quote from: rabbit on February 19, 2007, 04:58 PM
Why?  BNLS exists for a reason.  I actually prefer BNLS over local hashing, because then my bots don't require users to get new hash files after every release, and I don't need to update and release my bot every time a game gets patched.

I agree with rabbit in this retrospect.
Regards,
Don
-------

Barabajagal

it's easy enough to support both. And if you use something like BNCSutil, you can hash CD keys and passwords and all that without any hash files.

rabbit

Probably because CD-keys and passwords don't need "hash files".  "Hash files" actually means "key game files which are hashed and the result of that sent to Battle.net".  You still need BNLS or Skywing's brain to locally hash your game files.
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

Barabajagal

Orly? This topic's on CD Key hashing, not game hashing. My comment was about this topic.

|