• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

More SendMessage issues.

Started by Tazo, February 03, 2007, 09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warrior

I forgot when this became a "argue about a stupid feature in VB6" thread.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Barabajagal

Quote from: topaz on February 03, 2007, 06:36 PM
Isn't VB6 supposed to report errors when you refer to nonexistent variables?

Right there.

Warrior

It's a bad design feature in VB6. It enforces shitty programming standards. Anyone who doesn't use Option Explicit should be shot.

What kind of retarded language lets you turn this stuff off anyhow? smh.
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Barabajagal

It's not a bad design feature, it's remnants of the original BASIC language series. The feature is that you can turn it off, which is great. I agree, nowadays it should always be off, especially because of scopes, shared variable names with separate values, and the multitude of types (and yes, i realize there's more var types in other languages).

Explicit

Quote from: Ripple on February 04, 2007, 04:32 PM
Yes, it is laziness, but if you follow old coding practices, like naming conventions that include a variable representation symbol like $, %, &, etc... it can make things much better, and actually allows for BETTER readability, because all the variables will be labeled by their type.

You could just as easily read something that follows the naming conventions used today...
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Barabajagal

Yes, but most people don't. This would force you to do so, somewhat... except that most people don't care much about correct variable declaration anyway... In the end, it's no longer a useful feature, and so the option to disable it exists.

Warrior

Quote from: [RealityRipple] on February 04, 2007, 05:12 PM
It's not a bad design feature, it's remnants of the original BASIC language series. The feature is that you can turn it off, which is great. I agree, nowadays it should always be off, especially because of scopes, shared variable names with separate values, and the multitude of types (and yes, i realize there's more var types in other languages).

Then how is it not bad? You say it should be off today which means it's useless. Useless = Bad. This feature is bad. You done yet?

Barabajagal

it is not a "bad feature", it's a "remnant". I'm not saying it's not useless nowadays, that statement just says it wasn't written as a new feature.

Explicit

Quote from: [RealityRipple] on February 04, 2007, 05:52 PM
Yes, but most people don't. This would force you to do so, somewhat... except that most people don't care much about correct variable declaration anyway... In the end, it's no longer a useful feature, and so the option to disable it exists.

Most people don't care?  See, that might be the case with Battle.net-related programmers, but beyond that, it's different.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Barabajagal

Most people as in people that don't do programming as a profession, but as a hobby. Say about 70% of VB6 users.

topaz

Quote from: [RealityRipple] on February 04, 2007, 06:03 PM
it is not a "bad feature", it's a "remnant". I'm not saying it's not useless nowadays, that statement just says it wasn't written as a new feature.

lol @ calling it a remnant. Perhaps there's a reason why it's a remnant instead of present in other languages? Give up. It's worthless and there's no reason for it to be there; I don't if you paid $20 for a piece of paper that says you're a Certified VB6 Interface Coding Professional. You admitted to it's worthlessness, and still you maintain the defense that it's still useful. Give up, you're a loser
RLY...?

Barabajagal

Ok, your grammar is lacking a bit there... So I'll try to answer what I think you asked. Yes, I paid $25 for Visual Basic 6 certification. Yes, it's pretty much a worthless feature nowadays (PRETTY MUCH doesn't mean totally useless). It's still there because there are uses for it. The fact is, it's there in (i think) all BASIC languages in some form. It's a handy time saver if you use it right.

Tazo

Warrior

Mystical

Quote from: Warrior on February 05, 2007, 05:29 PM
Lolol @ VB6 certification.

he paid 9$ for a online test that multiple choice from a retarded site! =)

|