• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

PHP Include question

Started by GSX, November 29, 2006, 07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSX

Yeah, I'm back... I gave up on coding that one gaming site, switched it to CMS... (Hahaha I'm a quitter)

But I recently came across something where I have basically the same issue...

I've read about 10 PHP tutorials, and have little to no knowledge of it. Most say you don't need PHP knowledge to use the Include() function, but I can't seem to get it to work... Anyways, here's what I got, and yeah, I'm dumb, I just need another set of eyes to tell me what I'm doing wrong, because it's probably something very newb.

'\\ From "menu.php"
<HTML>
  <BODY>
     <A HREF="link1">Link 1</A><BR>
     <A HREF="link2">Link 2</A><BR>
     <A HREF="link3">Link 3</A><BR>
  </BODY>
</HTML>

'\\ From "index.php"
<HTML>
  <BODY>

<?php include("menu.php"); ?>

<p>Yeah... examples suck!</p>
  </BODY>
</HTML>

Yeah, menu.php doesn't show up. I'm sure this is terrible code, as I _SUCK_ with PHP... So yeah, any help appreciated.

SNiFFeR

GSX

None at the moment... I was thinking I didn't have PHP installed and it was messing it up, but I installed it (I think?) and it still doesn't work...

Ersan

I doubt you have php installed.
To test you make a file called info.php with the following code:
<?php phpinfo(); ?>

GSX

Ok, I don't know what's going on with this now... But, whenever I try to view the PHP files index.php or menu.php, it says I have to download the file... Yeah... Which is funny, because the file is right there. It says it's downloading a PHP Script?

I'm viewing it via FireFox... Any ideas there?

Ersan

which means there's no mimetype set aside for php, and if the file contents say <?php phpinfo(); ?> then php isn't installed.

GSX

Newb Q's

-     What is a "mimetype"?
    -     How do I fix my downloading PHP script problem?

Ersan

1. .....
2. INSTALL PHP CORRECTLY

GSX

I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it about 6 times, chaning various things each time... And still no workey...

Maybe I should just go buy a Mac...

topaz

Quote from: GSX on November 29, 2006, 11:59 PM
I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it about 6 times, chaning various things each time... And still no workey...

Maybe I should just go buy a Mac...

Yes, because purchasing a Mac will surely fix your server's PHP problems.

man, i hate people like you so much.
RLY...?

FrOzeN

GSX. You are not ready for php. Seriously.
~ FrOzeN

FrostWraith

Do you have any type of server installed?

topaz

Quote from: FrostWraith on November 30, 2006, 12:46 AM
Do you have any type of server installed?

Probably, since he said he reinstalled PHP several times.
RLY...?

rabbit

Doubtfully, given that if he did the PHP installer would add its own mimetype, or it's Apache.
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

GSX

Quote from: topaz on November 30, 2006, 12:26 AM

Yes, because purchasing a Mac will surely fix your server's PHP problems.

man, i hate people like you so much.

I was kidding... Don't get your panties all in a bundle...

And I installed and uninstalled PHP probably 15 times, and I never installed it with a webserver.

I tried to at school today, and I still have the same problem.