• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Color Codes

Started by c0ol, June 08, 2003, 07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skywing

Quote from: OcTaViuS on June 13, 2003, 08:32 PM
wc2 isnt the same as sc
Actually, it is; You'd know this if you took the time to read the second post in this thread.

iago

Quote from: Skywing on June 13, 2003, 11:07 PM
Quote from: OcTaViuS on June 13, 2003, 08:32 PM
wc2 isnt the same as sc
Actually, it is; You'd know this if you took the time to read the second post in this thread.

He just might be ignorant and not realize that starcraft and wc2 use the same storm.dll.

Actually, they aren't the exact same; same codes, different colors.  
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

OcTaViuS

skywing i personally went on wc2 and tested it. if its the same .dll then i cant explain y it doesnt work, but i did not get any colour using SC's code.

Edit:

Steps i took to test it:

#1 Placed BW cd into first cd-rom
#2 Logged onto Battle.net with BW
#3 Went into my home channel
#4 Placed WC2 cd into second cd-rom
#5 Logged onto Battle.net with WC2
#6 Went into my home channel
#7 Logged onto Battle.net with my bot
#8 Went into my home channel
#9 Used my bot to type in "ÁR Hey, testing"
#10 Maximized BW and read "Hey, testing" in green text
#11 Minimized BW
#12 Maximized WC2 and read "ÁR Hey, testing" in plain white text
#13 Minimized WC2

At first i figured that 'ÁR' in WC2 was for some reason the code for white text instead of green. Then i realised that if that was true then it wouldnt have displayed the 'ÁR' part.

I am open to suggestions as to how my test may have been faulty. It is possible since there was 13 steps, and 13 is an unlucky number after all.  But from what i saw, i am definitly to believe that SC and WC2 color codes are not the same.

Skywing

Quote from: OcTaViuS on June 14, 2003, 01:39 PM
skywing i personally went on wc2 and tested it. if its the same .dll then i cant explain y it doesnt work, but i did not get any colour using SC's code.

Edit:

Steps i took to test it:

#1 Placed BW cd into first cd-rom
#2 Logged onto Battle.net with BW
#3 Went into my home channel
#4 Placed WC2 cd into second cd-rom
#5 Logged onto Battle.net with WC2
#6 Went into my home channel
#7 Logged onto Battle.net with my bot
#8 Went into my home channel
#9 Used my bot to type in "ÁR Hey, testing"
#10 Maximized BW and read "Hey, testing" in green text
#11 Minimized BW
#12 Maximized WC2 and read "ÁR Hey, testing" in plain white text
#13 Minimized WC2

At first i figured that 'ÁR' in WC2 was for some reason the code for white text instead of green. Then i realised that if that was true then it wouldnt have displayed the 'ÁR' part.

I am open to suggestions as to how my test may have been faulty. It is possible since there was 13 steps, and 13 is an unlucky number after all.  But from what i saw, i am definitly to believe that SC and WC2 color codes are not the same.
Once again, if you had read my post, you'd see that Starcraft introduces UTF-8 processing on text (thus implying that older games, such as Warcraft II don't UTF-8 process text).

Both games do use the same color codes - what you are inputting are UTF-8 encoded versions of them, as I explained earlier.  Due to a flaw in Starcraft's UTF-8 processing, redundant encodings are not dropped, and the given text is incorrectly decoded into what becomes color codes.