• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Programs for money

Started by UserLoser, June 06, 2006, 12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newby

Quote from: Spht on June 06, 2006, 11:31 AM
Quote from: Maddox on June 06, 2006, 04:09 AM
Still programming for battle.net, how sad.

If it makes you money and you enjoy it, then why stop doing it?

Because it makes you absolutely no money in the long run, and if you sacrifice enjoyment for some money you could seriously make bank programming for people that have money.
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Maddox

Quote from: UserLoser on June 07, 2006, 04:22 PM
Quote from: Denial on June 07, 2006, 10:59 AM
Quote from: UserLoser on June 06, 2006, 06:02 PM

Recently, I had been offered $100 twice to write a B.net related tool, one of which I had worked on.

Was his name cele?

One of the offers were

That guy asks everyone LOL.
asdf.

JTN Designer

Indeed, you may enjoy doing something alot, but if it doesn't pay the bills, then wake up.
(advertising deleted by forum administrator)

UserLoser

Quote from: Maddox on June 10, 2006, 11:23 AM
Quote from: UserLoser on June 07, 2006, 04:22 PM
Quote from: Denial on June 07, 2006, 10:59 AM
Quote from: UserLoser on June 06, 2006, 06:02 PM

Recently, I had been offered $100 twice to write a B.net related tool, one of which I had worked on.

Was his name cele?

One of the offers were

That guy asks everyone LOL.

So what?  Just stated that one of the more recent offers were from him...

topaz

Quote from: UserLoser on June 10, 2006, 02:15 PM

Don't bother, those idiots are just looking for a fight
RLY...?

Newby

Quote from: Topaz on June 10, 2006, 03:03 PM

We're idiots because we gave up programming for Battle.net because we realized it would never help pay  for bills like a real programming job would?
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

Rule

Since when should all people base what they do on whether it will pay for bills in the long run?  That sounds like a pretty boring lifestyle to me :P.

If he enjoys it, he's learning from it, and aside from that, he makes some money doing it, good for him.  Seems to me like a better use of time than playing WoW.  Besides, I don't see why anyone cares how UserLoser spends his time, and it's way off topic in this thread.

Edit:  You guys came to the realization that programming for battle.net wasn't going to make you rich?  ...heh

topaz

Quote from: Newby on June 10, 2006, 04:59 PM
Quote from: Topaz on June 10, 2006, 03:03 PM

We're idiots because we gave up programming for Battle.net because we realized it would never help pay  for bills like a real programming job would?

You made your decision, he made his. It doesn't require a 9-6 to write a bot, so what's the deal? It isn't intended to be a substitute for a real career.  Who are you to judge what he does with his time?

Answer: You are nobody. You, in your pathetic attempt to make up for your lack of worth and friends, make fun and degrade others for your own satisfaction. You are scum.
RLY...?

warz

I PROGRAM WOOT WOOT. program in the mornin, program in the evenin, program for supper time.

Yegg

Quote from: warz on June 10, 2006, 09:44 PM
I PROGRAM WOOT WOOT. program in the mornin, program in the evenin, program for supper time.

Shouldn't that be "program at supper time?". Btw, that has a nice ring to it ;). Way to copy a commercial :P.

I don't see the problem with Battle.net programming; why people don't think others should do it, or so it seems that that is the way they feel.

Newby

Quote from: Rule on June 10, 2006, 05:36 PM
Since when should all people base what they do on whether it will pay for bills in the long run?  That sounds like a pretty boring lifestyle to me :P.

I'd rather do something that semi-entertains me and helps pay for a nicely sized house versus do something that is very fun that gets me barely enough payment for a 2 room apartment.

If he enjoys it, he's learning from it, and aside from that, he makes some money doing it, good for him.  Seems to me like a better use of time than playing WoW.  Besides, I don't see why anyone cares how UserLoser spends his time, and it's way off topic in this thread.

He asked for ideas for programming to make money. We told him programming for Battle.net won't get him shit. How is that off-topic?

Edit:  You guys came to the realization that programming for battle.net wasn't going to make you rich?  ...heh

Yes. We programmed for it for a while, then we realized that we could make money programming (or at least I did, Maddox may have realized he needs to pay bills), and we realized that we should focus elsewhere to make money.

Quote from: Topaz on June 10, 2006, 06:32 PM
You made your decision, he made his. It doesn't require a 9-6 to write a bot, so what's the deal? It isn't intended to be a substitute for a real career.  Who are you to judge what he does with his time?

Answer: You are nobody. You, in your pathetic attempt to make up for your lack of worth and friends, make fun and degrade others for your own satisfaction. You are scum.

Apparently it was a substitute for a real career. Or a side job anyway. He's looking to make money by writing third party clients for games.

I never judged him. I simply said that programming for Battle.net won't be worth it.

I appreciate the flame, by the way. Shows your true character. Unable to read my posts correctly and flaming me for your mis-reading.

And if I am scum, what are you? You're the one blatantly degrading me. Take a clue at your message. I never degraded him. I simply said programming for Battle.net was useless.
- Newby

Rule

Quote from: Newby on June 10, 2006, 11:08 PM

I'd rather do something that semi-entertains me and helps pay for a nicely sized house versus do something that is very fun that gets me barely enough payment for a 2 room apartment.

Difference in philosophies.  I'm not decided on which one I prefer.  Either way, I don't see the point in flaming UserLoser.  He asked about battle.net specific programs, so "life advice" is somewhat off topic.  Skimming through this topic though, Maddox seems a lot more bitter than you.  Trying to start shit over something so stupid just seems loser-esque to me -- far more so than programming battle.net apps.  I think anyone who is capable of stringing a coherent sentence together realizes that programming for battle.net is probably* not going to make him rich.

*I did pretty well in D2, D2 LOD, where pretty well is much better than what I'd get in nearly any standard 'real world' programming job.

Edit: nm, you seem to be just as bad as maddox :(.

UserLoser

First off, I don't write things just for Battle.net, and have not completed any project at all, for money or not, in over a year.  Know the facts before you making accusations making you look like an idiot.  I don't even think I made anymore than $200 for Battle.net things, there were only a few minor projects I had worked on, nothing big.  You kids out there assume that's all I do since that's what you know me for on the Internet.  If you were local, you'd know that the school has had me do work for them along with the company I work for, also have done work for asomewhat known game.  Don't worry or care about what I do or ask, unless you're going to contribute.

Btw, quit being jealous.

Newby

Quote from: Rule on June 10, 2006, 11:20 PM
He asked about battle.net specific programs, so "life advice" is somewhat off topic.  Skimming through this topic though, Maddox seems a lot more bitter than you.

He asked about programs he could write for games. Not specifically Battle.net. He mentioned Battlefield 2.

And UL, you base your whole argument on the assumption that we think you code JUST for Battle.net. We don't. We're just simply stating you should not code any projects for Battle.net if you are interested in money.

As for jealous, I'm not. :)
- Newby

FrOzeN

Quote from: Newby on June 11, 2006, 12:53 AM
We're just simply stating you should not code any projects for Battle.net if you are interested in money.
Straight forward translation:
QuoteDon't spend ANY of your free time programming for Battle.net despite it being fun, because it won't make any money.
~ FrOzeN

|