• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Updater

Started by Clan CDH, June 01, 2006, 11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

l2k-Shadow

Quote from: Clan CDH on June 05, 2006, 02:30 PM
Quote from: l2k-Shadow on June 05, 2006, 02:25 PM
You need to load inet into your app, (internet file transfer protocol) or something like that it should be called in your components (CTRL+T) directory.

i know, i m not that newbish, i think it might be a problem with my text file?
http://mehateeggz.googlepages.com/CurrentVer.txt

Well you said that it is throwing an object required error. And by definition object required error means that you are trying to call an object that is not there, which in this case you are calling an INET control, which the VB has detected missing, so therefore that is the only problem that is able to be associated with this error in this line of code.
Quote from: replaced on November 04, 2006, 11:54 AM
I dunno wat it means, someone tell me whats ix86 and pmac?
Can someone send me a working bot source (with bnls support) to my email?  Then help me copy and paste it to my bot? ;D
Já jsem byl určenej abych tady žil,
Dával si ovar, křen a k tomu pivo pil.
Tam by ses povídaj jak prase v žitě měl,
Já nechci před nikym sednout si na prdel.

Já nejsem z USA, já nejsem z USA, já vážně nejsem z USA... a snad se proto na mě nezloběj.

Clan CDH

Quote from: l2k-Shadow on June 05, 2006, 02:32 PM
Quote from: Clan CDH on June 05, 2006, 02:30 PM
Quote from: l2k-Shadow on June 05, 2006, 02:25 PM
You need to load inet into your app, (internet file transfer protocol) or something like that it should be called in your components (CTRL+T) directory.

i know, i m not that newbish, i think it might be a problem with my text file?
http://mehateeggz.googlepages.com/CurrentVer.txt

Well you said that it is throwing an object required error. And by definition object required error means that you are trying to call an object that is not there, which in this case you are calling an INET control, which the VB has detected missing, so therefore that is the only problem that is able to be associated with this error in this line of code.

i know, but it's not missing the inet control because i have it in there, it highlights that whole line, i believe it might be in the app.major, could that be possible?

edit:  here's my form maybe im doing something wrong
http://mehateeggz.googlepages.com/Updater.frm

warz

If Inet.OpenURL("http://mehateeggz.googlepages.com/CurrentVer.txt") <> App.Major & "." & App.Minor & "." & App.Revision Then

I'm not sure if i'm correct - but wouldn't it be better in this case to use a string comparison function rather than greater than or less than? Would App.Major & "." & App.Minor & "." & App.Revision be treated as a string? I don't think it'd be treated as any numerical data. Maybe try something similar to strcmp, or something.

If you are infact allowed to use greater than or less than on two strings, then it might be better to enclose the values to the right of the comparison operators in parenthesis so it does the & operations, and then looks at the entire string, because it might be trying to do this:

if (Inet.OpenURL("http://mehateeggz.googlepages.com/CurrentVer.txt") <> App.Major) & "." & App.minor [...]

rabbit

Cascade checks should be used.  IE: Check the major version first.  If the supplied is lower than the check, update, otherwise move on to the minor version, do the same, and move on the to revision.
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

Hdx

Quote from: warz on June 05, 2006, 06:28 PM
I'm not sure if i'm correct - but wouldn't it be better in this case to use a string comparison function rather than greater than or less than? Would App.Major & "." & App.Minor & "." & App.Revision be treated as a string? I don't think it'd be treated as any numerical data. Maybe try something similar to strcmp, or something.

If you are infact allowed to use greater than or less than on two strings, then it might be better to enclose the values to the right of the comparison operators in parenthesis so it does the & operations, and then looks at the entire string, because it might be trying to do this:

if (Inet.OpenURL("http://mehateeggz.googlepages.com/CurrentVer.txt") <> App.Major) & "." & App.minor [...]

Well, VB being the newbish languuage it is, dosent matter. The strings are conceated(sp?) before the comparisions are done.
Therefor my line works fine.

Quote from: rabbit on June 05, 2006, 07:06 PM
Cascade checks should be used. IE: Check the major version first. If the supplied is lower than the check, update, otherwise move on to the minor version, do the same, and move on the to revision.
Why? we're talking to a kiddie here, using VB. I honestly don't think it should be cascading, when it all can be done in one move.
Oh well, w/e

Quote from: Clan CDH on June 05, 2006, 03:34 PMi know, but it's not missing the inet control because i have it in there, it highlights that whole line, i believe it might be in the app.major, could that be possible?

edit: here's my form maybe im doing something wrong
http://mehateeggz.googlepages.com/Updater.frm
Yes you are missing the 'Inet' control.
Your control is named 'Inet1'
It MUST be named 'Inet', considering you have the 1, it cant find it! There for you get the error!!!
DUA!
Anyways.
Pay attention boyo :P

My code works FINE, I tested it many times in 2rd period, many times.
(Our school has a personal HTTP server in each lab(for php programming) and I have access to them all <3)
~-~(HDX)~-~

Proud host of the JBLS server www.JBLS.org.
JBLS.org Status:
JBLS/BNLS Server Status

rabbit

It's a lot easier to cascade than to compare strings.
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

Clan CDH

woops i didn't see that i guess >_< imma go in and beat me self over the head now

l2k-Shadow

AFAIK, upon compilation, VB changes the <> to StrComp() when comparing strings.
Quote from: replaced on November 04, 2006, 11:54 AM
I dunno wat it means, someone tell me whats ix86 and pmac?
Can someone send me a working bot source (with bnls support) to my email?  Then help me copy and paste it to my bot? ;D
Já jsem byl určenej abych tady žil,
Dával si ovar, křen a k tomu pivo pil.
Tam by ses povídaj jak prase v žitě měl,
Já nechci před nikym sednout si na prdel.

Já nejsem z USA, já nejsem z USA, já vážně nejsem z USA... a snad se proto na mě nezloběj.

warz

Quote from: l2k-Shadow on June 06, 2006, 02:24 PM
AFAIK, upon compilation, VB changes the <> to StrComp() when comparing strings.

eh, i doubt that.

rabbit

AFAIK it changes it to two different calls: a <> b becomes a < b and a > b

warz

rabbit

vuther.de

Not sure if anyone has given him a solution, but Clan CDH, if you want my code I made for my bot for auto-updating, I'll give you it.

Hdx

mm, reviving a dead thread, w/o adding anything, thanks.
And yes he has been helped:
Poke
~-~(HDX)~-~

Proud host of the JBLS server www.JBLS.org.
JBLS.org Status:
JBLS/BNLS Server Status