• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Petition to support Network Neutrality

Started by Dyndrilliac, May 01, 2006, 10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dyndrilliac

NOTE: I briefly searched the forums in an attempt to make sure this same topic had not already been posted about, so if I missed it somehow, please just delete it and move on - my apologies.

Soon, the United States Congress will vote on whether to support Network Neutrality or not. Network Neutrality is a law that requires ISP's, and Webhosting companies to give every site the same amount of bandwidth for the same reasonable price. This means that the website that you have hosted for 10$ a month has access to the same amount of bandwidth as the site that Big Corporation Co. has paid the same 10$ a month for from the same hosting company.

Big telecommunications companies like Comcast, MCI, and AT&T, are trying to get Network Neutrality revoked so that they can provide bandwidth to companies based on how much they pay for it. For example, Wal-Mart's website will pay for a staggering amount of bandwidth, while non-profit web-sites like Wikipedia will only be able to afford what they already pay, meaning Wikipedia runs at the same speed as a Freewebs site while Wal-Mart's site could withstand a DDoS attack beyond what any of you could fathom.

This in effect means that only the huge multi-billion dollar corporations could afford to extend their business to the Web, killing all the current free services we take for granted - Google, Wikipedia, these forums, PlanetSourceCode, Gamefaqs/IGN/Gamespy/Gamespot, Newegg, etc.

I know you are saying to yourself right now, "That could never happen." Well, it's coming down to the wire, and it's imposssible to tell how Congress will vote. Many of our incredibly corrupt members of congress lay in the deep pockets of the corporations that support the movement, and only an overwhleming show of opposition will make a difference. For this reason, MoveOn.org is sponsoring a petition to support Network Neutrality. You all need to sign the petition. We currently have over 250,000 signatures.

Sign here!
Quote from: Edsger W. DijkstraIt is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC; as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

raylu

Signed...

Quote from: Dyndrilliackilling all the current free services we take for granted - Google, Wikipedia,
WP would be a loss, but I don't quite think Google counts as a "free service." They are free but...c'mon...

Edit: ew...you need "" around the name.
Pie?

Dyndrilliac

I personally don't know what my life would be like without Google. I find myself all the time wishing I had a computer on hand so I could Google something I just read, heard, or saw. I've become so dependent on the ability to see something being talked about and being able to Google it, that I can't see myself making due without it.
Quote from: Edsger W. DijkstraIt is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC; as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Eric

Note that the bandwidth does not actually go to the company; rather, priority is given to the consumer who is visting that company's website.

FrOzeN

Just a thought, but if this were to happen. Would google not just locate there network in a different country in which this law wouldn't apply?

I doubt google would just collapse.
~ FrOzeN

Dyndrilliac

Quote from: FrOzeN on May 01, 2006, 11:22 PM
Just a thought, but if this were to happen. Would google not just locate there network in a different country in which this law wouldn't apply?
The big communication companies still control what content gets to your computer from the internet. Don't think they won't just lock out or artifically degrade the quality of hosting companies who aren't playing by the rules.

CrAz3D

Interesting, sounds cool, I like free business though
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

raylu

Quote from: FrOzeN on May 01, 2006, 11:22 PM

I doubt google would just collapse.
Yes, and all of us will relocate with it...
Pie?

FrOzeN

~ FrOzeN

Banana fanna fo fanna

This is the DUMBEST, most ECONOMICALLY HEAD-IN-ASSED idea I've heard in a long time.

raylu

Agreed.

Would you like to do something about it?
Pie?

Networks

The petition means nothing. Signatures only count if the people that sign it are a legal adult (18 years old). I don't know what this online petition would accomplish except showing what internet users think which I am sure they don't care all too much due to rational self-interest.