• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Someone recommend me a good laptop...

Started by powered by nissan, April 30, 2006, 11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hitmen

My girlfriend just bought a laptop (less than two weeks ago) for when she goes away to college. It was a gateway 7118 or something like that. I can get exact information if interested, this is from memory. It was $750 new, athlon 64, 512mb ram, 80gb HD, radeon x500, came with xp media center edition on it.

go to like the Dell outlet.  They sell the custom made computers that people return for mucho mucho cheap.

Tazo

iago

You should get a toughbook.  They're a little above your specified pricerange (probably start around $3000), but they're so cool!  They're used by police and military and stuff.  :)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Meh

My mum dropped mine and it isnt a ToughBook and it diddnt break. No need to fork out for a toughbook.

quasi-modo

My reccomendation is acer. I paid 999 about a year ago for my acer aspire. It has been great. It has 512 pc-2700 ddr, a 80gig hd, and 1.6ghz Amd Turion Proc (1mb l2 cahce). This laptop can't game too much because it is running SiS integrated graphics, but for all general computing it performs as well as my desktop (p4 2.6 w/ ht). It has been a wonderful little laptop. It is fairly light so it's not bad to take to class, though I do kinda wish I had gotten one of those really tiny laptops just because they fit into a backpack so much easier. I guess when I bought it something with a normal 15 inch screen was more appealing to me. But it has been a very stable system and it performs very nicely. Battery life is 3hrs generally, unplugged clock speed is 800mhz, I never notice a performance difference though since I am not doing anything too intensive on this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115328
same laptop now one year later with double the ram, a 20gig more hard drive capacitym and the graphics have evolved a bit for the same price - a rebate putting it right at your price range (but that is for today only).
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

JTN Designer

http://www.edealinfo.com/dell/

I saw Andy (Stealth) post this a while back, should help you out.
(advertising deleted by forum administrator)