• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

To build a wall (of any sort) or not

Started by CrAz3D, April 30, 2006, 12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should there be a wall built across the US-Mexico border?

WALL
10 (52.6%)
NO WALL
9 (47.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

CrAz3D

Alot of my friends agree with a wall.  To me, a wall makes perfect sense in securing our borders.  While chatting with one of my ultra-liberal (eeks) friends we were talkin about immigration, I said we need a wall, she basically laughed at me.

I don't see how a wall is bad in any way shape or form except for MAYBE the people trying to get here illegally (immigrants or otherwise).

If you vote NO WALL, please explain why.

EDIT:
serious replies ony, please.
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

disco

I say we build a moat and fill it with sharks with laser beams attached to their heads.
Say it with me:

MyndFyre

A wall, like the motion to deport all the illegals, is impractical.

We provide a path to legalization (not citizenship) for those who are currently here illegally.

We make it easy to get here legally.

We put technology on the border -- UAVs, radar, and ground sensors.  These things will ultimately be far more effective at detecting intruders than a wall that has to constantly be monitored.

Besides, if we make it easy to get here for work easy, only the people who have something to lose (i.e. drug dealers, human traffickers, terrorists) will try to cross the border illegally.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

CrAz3D

Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on April 30, 2006, 01:31 PM
A wall, like the motion to deport all the illegals, is impractical.

We provide a path to legalization (not citizenship) for those who are currently here illegally.

We make it easy to get here legally.

We put technology on the border -- UAVs, radar, and ground sensors.  These things will ultimately be far more effective at detecting intruders than a wall that has to constantly be monitored.

Besides, if we make it easy to get here for work easy, only the people who have something to lose (i.e. drug dealers, human traffickers, terrorists) will try to cross the border illegally.
I pretty much agree.
But I believe a wall ought to be step 3 out of a 3 step program to reclaim America for Americans.

1) Provide a "jump to the front of the line" for naturalization (not straight amnesty which, as I understand, is just a free pass).  Allow people the chance to earn their citizenship.
2) Guest worker program.  Only one person per family, preferably males.  If we allow women then they have children here & then the woman becomes apart of our society through a loophole.
3) Wall.  A wall could use motion sensors and wouldn't have to be monitored by people other than regular ports of entry & maybe every 5 miles (or so).  By using underground motion sensors we could find tunnels.  We could us infrared cameras/UAVs/regular cameras to monitor the border otherwise, also.

It just makes so much more sense to have a secure border.  Why would anyone choose a guest worker program where they have to pay taxes over walking over a line & saving money by not paying taxes?
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

MyndFyre

Oh, I'm also in support of removing the "citizen by birthright" thing.  I forgot to mention that.  A parent has to be a citizen for you to be a citizen by birthright.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

dxoigmn

So why no border along the canadian border? Ah...I get it now. It's not about terrorists getting into our country; it's all about keeping Mexicans out. Racist? Some believe so, and I tend to agree.

MyndFyre

Quote from: dxoigmn on April 30, 2006, 04:52 PM
So why no border along the canadian border? Ah...I get it now. It's not about terrorists getting into our country; it's all about keeping Mexicans out. Racist? Some believe so, and I tend to agree.

I don't know if you're addressing me or CrAz3D.  But note that I have not said "the Mexican border," but simply "the border."

dxoigmn

Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on April 30, 2006, 05:00 PM

I don't know if you're addressing me or CrAz3D.  But note that I have not said "the Mexican border," but simply "the border."

I am addressing the topic creator since the poll subject specifically states: "Should there be a wall built across the US-Mexico border?".

We don't need a straight up Wall.  Some sort of physical impedment does make since though.  Probably some sort of advanced network of sensors(thermal, motion, visual, etc) would probably more practical.  This would be pretty expensive, so I would also agree with a far far far right type plan.  Basically, put out cheap wooden signs on the border that say in spanish "This sign is on an imgainary line, If you cross this line without permission you will be shot on site"  then we really shoot them.

raylu

Then, every truck that drove across the border, including from the U.S., would get picked up...

Reminds me of that anti-Communist missile defense system we set up with Canada...forgot the name though.
Pie?

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: dxoigmn on April 30, 2006, 06:53 PM
Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on April 30, 2006, 05:00 PM

I am addressing the topic creator since the poll subject specifically states: "Should there be a wall built across the US-Mexico border?".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but though there is a drug trafficking problem, there is no human trafficking/"culture wars" going on at the Canadian border.

Joe[x86]

Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

CrAz3D

I totally agree that we need to secure both borders.  However, the mexican border is obviously a higher priority as their government is overly corrupt and ineffecient (as ours is becoming because we let non-citizens throw their 'weight' around).

The US-Canada border, as I feel, is much safer because both sides have developed governments and laws that are generally enforced.  Mexico is a different story.
(ré-bun-dance)

Forged

I don't see a wall helping all that much and it being extrodinarilly expensive.
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

Banana fanna fo fanna

I'd rather see the government levy massive fines against businesses that hire illegals, and use that cash to increase enforcement of laws, and take the rest and put it towards alt. energy.