• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Question of sensibility (repeat)

Started by Rule, April 28, 2006, 04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is more tragic:  a 95% chance someone innocent will die, or a 5% chance someone will have his rights like (owning a gun) suspended,  and then returned to him with an apology?

95% chance...
10 (71.4%)
5% chance...
4 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Rule

The older poll was deleted because people seemed confused about the question.  This should be more clear.

CrAz3D

uhm....this seems rather pointless, maybe it ought to be worded differently?

Of course the dude that is about to die is more tragic, but what are you trying prove by us saying that?
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Rule

Quote from: CrAz3D on April 28, 2006, 05:19 PM
Of course the dude that is about to die is more tragic, but what are you trying prove by us saying that?

Believe it or not, some people don't think that's obvious.

CrAz3D

Quote from: Rule on April 28, 2006, 05:21 PM
Quote from: CrAz3D on April 28, 2006, 05:19 PM

Believe it or not, some people don't think that's obvious.
Word.

But also, unless Mr. 5% has taken a step towards killing Mr. 95%, there should be no punishment/resitrctions for Mr. 5%
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Invert

What about a case where someone was arrested and charged with a rape and put to jail for it then 20 years later the DNA test came back negative proving that person innocent.

How do you apologize for that? Would it go something like this: "Oops, sorry. You're free to go now."

Rule

Quote from: Invert on April 28, 2006, 05:29 PM
What about a case where someone was arrested and charged with a rape and put to jail for it then 20 years later the DNA test came back negative proving that person innocent.

How do you apologize for that? Would it go something like this: "Oops, sorry. You're free to go now."

A different question with a different answer.  This is not a question of whether someone should be charged with a crime that they haven't definitely committed.

Invert

Your question is about indefinites.

Rule

Invert

My comments were about acting on indefinites.

Your poll relates to acting on indefinites.

Rule

Quote from: Invert on April 28, 2006, 06:09 PM
My comments were about acting on indefinites.

Your poll relates to acting on indefinites.

Well, my question wasn't specifically commenting on how we should act on indefinites.  Although we are often faced with indefinites, how we act on them doesn't have to be black and white.  We shouldn't either ignore them or act as though they are definites, in my opinion.  There should be compromise.

Invert

Sometimes it is black and white and there is no compromise, it happens quite often in life and the choice is not ours whether or not it has to be black and white it just is.

We should as a society try to do our best to make those decisions and when a mistake is made we should do our best to compensate for that mistake since it was black and white and there is no correcting it.

The whole controversy is about whether or not our guess is the best guess.

Rule

Quote from: Invert on April 28, 2006, 06:23 PM
Sometimes it is black and white and there is no compromise, it happens quite often in life and the choice is not ours whether or not it has to be black and white it just is.

We should as a society try to do our best to make those decisions and when a mistake is made we should do our best to compensate for that mistake since it was black and white and there is no correcting it.

The whole controversy is about whether or not our guess is the best guess.

Yes, that makes sense (not being sarcastic).  I think the idea of "definites" in the justice system is actually an illusion.  Nothing is really definite.  A witness could be lying.  DNA evidence isn't perfect, even though it's very accurate.  We have to draw the line somewhere.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Rule on April 28, 2006, 04:17 PM
The older poll was deleted because people seemed confused about the question.  This should be more clear.

I do not appreciate the outright deletion of my post.  Trash it.  Or is this the way you would have it if you ruled the world?  If I 95% disagreed with you, I would be silenced for preventative measures?

You know what else is funny Rule, you're arguing for preemption, but as I recall you were against a preemptive American war with Iraq?
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Rule

Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on April 28, 2006, 06:44 PM
Quote from: Rule on April 28, 2006, 04:17 PM

You know what else is funny Rule, you're arguing for preemption, but as I recall you were against a preemptive American war with Iraq?

People love artificially putting someone into a position where they are always for an idea, or are always against it.  It's a dirty tactic. The idea that someone contradicts himself when he supports an action in a particular circumstance, and opposes it in a totally different situation, is ridiculous. Because I may believe that it might possibly be a good idea to act preemptively in some unspecified situation does not mean I think that it is always a good idea to act preemptively.

Also, I don't think I've ever said whether I was for or against a "preemptive American war with Iraq"? 

I'm sorry that you were offended that I deleted my poll.  I wasn't trying to "cover anything up," and although I think it would be awkward and inappropriate, you're free to rewrite or paste anything you did post.

Grok

Quote from: Rule on April 28, 2006, 07:08 PMPeople love artificially putting someone into a position where they are always for an idea, or are always against it.  It's a dirty tactic. The idea that someone contradicts himself when he supports an action in a particular circumstance, and opposes it in a totally different situation, is ridiculous. Because I may believe that it might possibly be a good idea to act preemptively in some unspecified situation does not mean I think that it is always a good idea to act preemptively.

LMAO, this is classic.  Aren't you trying to do exactly that in the marijuana thread, where you're refusing to present your case for criminalization of pot until everyone else agrees that in the hypothetical context it is sometimes reasonable to ask people to give up some unspecified freedom when there is a high likelihood of that freedom leading to harm on someone else?

It's a dirty tactic.  Quoted for Truth.