• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

National debt...

Started by iago, February 27, 2006, 12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dxoigmn

Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on March 06, 2006, 02:41 AM
Most white Americans also happen to find it annoying when we're told that we killed all the Indians and enslaved all the black people, even though pretty much all of us these days didn't do any of that and for many of us our ancestors didn't do it either. 

You know what we do?  We get over it.

Perhaps you never physically killed an Indian but there are many instances of Indians being killed at the hands of non-Natives for reasons not so different than those of the nineteenth century and before. Besides, many policies and much of the thinking in place today are akin, if not worse, to the previous policies of "kill[ing] all the Indians and enslav[ing] all the black people."

MyndFyre

Quote from: dxoigmn on March 06, 2006, 08:45 AM
Perhaps you never physically killed an Indian but there are many instances of Indians being killed at the hands of non-Natives for reasons not so different than those of the nineteenth century and before. Besides, many policies and much of the thinking in place today are akin, if not worse, to the previous policies of "kill[ing] all the Indians and enslav[ing] all the black people."

Yes, you're right, since I don't support reverse discrimination in affirmative action (as opposed to equal opportunity laws, which I support), it's akin to keeping black people barely fed and raping the women down on the plantation.  I'm going to go get my whip for good measure.

dxoigmn, that is one of the most ignorant standpoints I've ever seen you take.

I cannot be held responsible for decisions that were made before I was born -- in fact, I cannot even be held responsible for decisions that took place before I was of voting age.  That isn't justification for inaction -- it's fact.

I seriously resent the implication that I'm somehow a racist because I live in the United States.  Just because I fight racism in all its forms, which includes discriminating negatively against white people, does not mean that I'm a racist.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

iago

Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on March 06, 2006, 02:41 AM
Quote from: iago on March 05, 2006, 11:27 PM
it may be a joke, but Canadians find it pretty annoying when Americans flaunt their ignorance about our country.  Joke or not, it furthers a fairly un-true stereotype. 
Most white Americans also happen to find it annoying when we're told that we killed all the Indians and enslaved all the black people, even though pretty much all of us these days didn't do any of that and for many of us our ancestors didn't do it either. 

You know what we do?  We get over it.
You get over it?  You didn't seem to get over it when dxoigmn poked at it.  It seemed to hit a nerve the same way the comment about Canada having nothing hit Rule's nerve. 

In any case, you aren't constantly picked on for that.  Your country is picked on for a lot of things, but enslaving blacks isn't one that's often brought up :P
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

MyndFyre

Quote from: iago on March 06, 2006, 10:12 AM
You get over it?  You didn't seem to get over it when dxoigmn poked at it.
(by which I mean: I live with it.)
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

iago

Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on March 06, 2006, 10:21 AM
What's the alternative?
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

MyndFyre

Quote from: iago on March 06, 2006, 10:28 AM
Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on March 06, 2006, 10:21 AM
What's the alternative?

Right to exit.

Also, I would like to say that being accused of living in a country with lots of trees is a lot less offensive than being called a racist.

Unless you hate trees.

Rule

Ok.  People are starting to get unnecessarily worked up and defensive. 

Mynd, if you find it annoying when Americans are unfairly stereotyped (even in a comedic sense), then you can understand why it would be annoying to unfairly stereotype Canadians and hence shouldn't do it.  Sure,
"we'll get over it," but doing something that you recognize as irritating and saying "get over it,"  is hardly mature.  It is comparable to walking up to an African-American and saying "you people are only good at playing basketball" -- it's a joke, "get over it."  Or more dramatically, like punching someone in the stomach and minimizing what happened by asking that someone to "get over it."

Sure, that's a little dramatic, and I know you were having fun and didn't mean to really offend, but a little recognition that you did bug people would be nice, instead of the standard "get over it" response.

I wasn't initially that offended, just a little ticked that no one seems to recognize (or is willing to recognize or learn) that Canada is an important nation that does have a significant impact on the lives of Americans.  But this whole "get over it" business bugs me more :P.  It can seemingly be used as a defense for any "rude behavior" and it doesn't excuse anything.

dxoigmn

Quote from: MyndFyre[vL] on March 06, 2006, 09:13 AM
dxoigmn, that is one of the most ignorant standpoints I've ever seen you take.

I cannot be held responsible for decisions that were made before I was born -- in fact, I cannot even be held responsible for decisions that took place before I was of voting age.  That isn't justification for inaction -- it's fact.

I seriously resent the implication that I'm somehow a racist because I live in the United States.  Just because I fight racism in all its forms, which includes discriminating negatively against white people, does not mean that I'm a racist.

Its not an ignorant standpoint and no you can't be held responsible for decisions that were made before you were born/able to vote. But you probably have a colonial attitude with regards to the first peoples of these lands.

And no one said you're racist, I'm not even trying to imply that. (Why is it that white people, in particular, always think other people are saying their racist?)

I encourage you to take a Native American Studies (or American Indian Studies, whatever they choose to call it) course before you graduate. Until you have done so, then you can't call me ignorant; in fact you're the one lacking knowledge in this area.

Hostile

lol dxo, and black people would still be slaves if it weren't for the other half of americans who gave thier life in our civil war to make them free. (slavery, while not the only issue that caused the civil war, was a main reason.) That's like the lamest ignorant reasoning that only people with almost no education believe in, so I recommend taking your little college class again and this time not using the entire class time to stare at the black womens big ass (lolz that stereotype > *). Black History deserves about as much attention as any other nationality. Wheres the Italian History Month, or any other nationality. Theres 12 months in a year, I'm pretty sure the other 11 are up for grabs.

Rule: When Topaz made his dumb little comment(which is very inaccurate btw), that's just Americans are poorly stereotyped for being the bane of the worlds existance as much as much as Canadians are for being useless. Many countries owe us, hell that same nuclear bomb and american military is what saved the world from hailing the Nazis right now. Now, it doesn't really bother me so much. I, in theory, wouldn't have been born, but even if I was I had blonde hair and blue eyes, so I'd be alright. But for every other single person reading this who did not, would have probably been killed.

How much of a right do you think you really deserve to question the means that the USA runs its country when that same nuclear weapon technology and US Government is what even allowed for your existance in this world. Now, questioning everything is what keeps things going efficiently, but when you do so arrogantly and only consider bits and peices of it you are quite honestly, just stupid. If it weren't for the US, the entire world would be enslaved, so you can dwell in your own little hold ups all you want, lets just all be grateful not everyone is that stupid.
- Hostile is sexy.

dxoigmn

Quote from: Hostile on March 07, 2006, 07:17 PM
lol dxo, and black people would still be slaves if it weren't for the other half of americans who gave thier life in our civil war to make them free. (slavery, while not the only issue that caused the civil war, was a main reason.) That's like the lamest ignorant reasoning that only people with almost no education believe in, so I recommend taking your little college class again and this time not using the entire class time to stare at the black womens big ass (lolz that stereotype > *). Black History deserves about as much attention as any other nationality. Wheres the Italian History Month, or any other nationality. Theres 12 months in a year, I'm pretty sure the other 11 are up for grabs.

I'm not talking about black people...in fact I could really care less about their whole civil rights movement. I suggest you go back to elementary school and learn to read.

Quote from: Hostile on March 07, 2006, 07:17 PM
How much of a right do you think you really deserve to question the means that the USA runs its country when that same nuclear weapon technology and US Government is what even allowed for your existance in this world. Now, questioning everything is what keeps things going efficiently, but when you do so arrogantly and only consider bits and peices of it you are quite honestly, just stupid. If it weren't for the US, the entire world would be enslaved, so you can dwell in your own little hold ups all you want, lets just all be grateful not everyone is that stupid.

I dunno but it seems like the founding fathers would like America's citizens to question the government. After all, isn't that why they came here and laid out in the Declaration of Independence? Seems to be the American thing to do.

Arta

Easy, fellas. Play nice.

Rule

Quote from: dxoigmn on March 07, 2006, 08:08 PM
I'm not talking about black people...in fact I could really care less about their whole civil rights movement.

This struck me as a strange comment coming from you.  I've generally seen you as a civil rights advocate -- or are you only interested in the civil rights of certain races?

dxoigmn

Quote from: Rule on March 08, 2006, 01:49 PM
Quote from: dxoigmn on March 07, 2006, 08:08 PM
I'm not talking about black people...in fact I could really care less about their whole civil rights movement.

This struck me as a strange comment coming from you.  I've generally seen you as a civil rights advocate -- or are you only interested in the civil rights of certain races?

Heh heh, I knew someone was going to bring this up. It's not that I don't care about their whole civil rights movement, it's that I don't think that discourse is appropriate for what I advocate. I don't want to argue American Indian rights as a form of minority right because it limits the scope of rights. It also lumps us in a category that we should not be lumped into because of the relationship tribes have with the federal government.

Hostile

The Native American tribe people who are born on reservations are not ones to pity. Most of them never leave the reservation and basically live for free and do nothing. While many get out and go to college or whatever, but a good portion don't (nor even have to because they have no real living expenses).
- Hostile is sexy.

dxoigmn

Quote from: Hostile on March 08, 2006, 09:08 PM
The Native American tribe people who are born on reservations are not ones to pity. Most of them never leave the reservation and basically live for free and do nothing. While many get out and go to college or whatever, but a good portion don't (nor even have to because they have no real living expenses).

I never asked for pity, nor does anyone else. A lot of people frequently leave the reservation and they don't "live for free and do nothing." It's obvious you have never been on a reservation before. How do we "have no real living expenses?" You seem to know much. What percentage of Native youth go to college? Just a FYI, most Native youth don't go to college to reap the monetary benefits.