• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Storing Information

Started by FrOzeN, February 13, 2006, 01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyndFyre

Quote from: MyStiCaL on February 13, 2006, 03:08 PM
that's why i still said the control and not .rtb file would be still better about do this.
What Zak is trying to tell you is that you need to get your terminology together.  RTB is an abbreviation for "Rich Text Box," which is the Windows control for editing and displaying rich text.  A file is .RTF - "Rich Text Format."  ".rtb" is inaccurate because you're confusing a file format (dot-three extention) with the abbreviation for RTB.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

FrOzeN

So overall the best solution breaking down from what you all said is, "Use a Control Array of the RichTextBox and have the one's not being used Invisible. Even though the the extra controls use a little extra storage, it is so minor it makes no difference and overall makes for faster handling rather than re-writing the text in back and fourth consecutively.".

So Control Arrays it is. :)

As for the ListView, I'm having a Control Array of the number of tabs open (plus 3 extra for Friends/Clan/Channels). Then have it just update the 3 extra one's upon tab change with information stored in a database. And the Channel will always regain focus and as being already there won't be a problem.

Thanks.
~ FrOzeN

shadypalm88

Quote from: FrOzeN on February 13, 2006, 10:20 PM
So overall the best solution breaking down from what you all said is, "Use a Control Array of the RichTextBox and have the one's not being used Invisible. Even though the the extra controls use a little extra storage, it is so minor it makes no difference and overall makes for faster handling rather than re-writing the text in back and fourth consecutively.".

As for the ListView, I'm having a Control Array of the number of tabs open (plus 3 extra for Friends/Clan/Channels). Then have it just update the 3 extra one's upon tab change with information stored in a database. And the Channel will always regain focus and as being already there won't be a problem.

Thanks.
What I've actually done with some success in Myriad 2 is create a class module with the controls declared WithEvents in them, so that instead of handling the events on the form, they're handled in the class module.  I've been able to achieve better separation of elements that way.  There's a base BnetBot class that handles the nitty gritty connection details and raises events when things happen.  They are trapped by another class, which displays messages, updates the user list, etc. on the display object.  (A bot may be "detached" and not have a display window/tab open, which is why the display elements are in a separate class.)  Some of this OO stuff gets a tid bit ugly in VB6, but it's overall much cleaner than directly dealing with control arrays all the time.

The bot is under the GPL so if the preceding paragraph didn't make much sense and it'd help to see some code, I can make a snapshot.

Mystical

Quote from: FrOzeN on February 13, 2006, 10:20 PM

Thanks.

no control array doesn't take up as much memory as the other array would. i stated create a new project and see for ur self..