• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Sqrt(-1)

Started by Joe[x86], January 29, 2006, 04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe[x86]

Is there one? What is it?

'tis Ergot's question, but he's lazy, so eh?
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

Explicit

i is an imaginary unit, a complex number whose square equals -1.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

rabbit

i, of course, then leads us into entirely new fields of mathematics altogether...
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

Joe[x86]

Quote from: Explicit[nK] on January 29, 2006, 05:33 PM
i is an imaginary unit, a complex number whose square equals -1.

Then i is basically a logic bomb, because there is no way to get x*x to equal -1. =/

rabbit

Yes there is: i * i
Didn't you pay attention to what we just said?
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

Joe[x86]

Well, yeah, i * i, but that just hurts my head. Yes, I fully understood what you said, it just hurts my head thinking about it =p

Explicit

Quote from: Joe on January 30, 2006, 07:49 PM
Well, yeah, i * i, but that just hurts my head. Yes, I fully understood what you said, it just hurts my head thinking about it =p

It shouldn't hurt your head seeing as to how it's pretty straight forward.
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

rabbit

Quote from: Joe on January 30, 2006, 07:49 PM
You don't stick your tongue out when your head hurts.  You squint your eyes and clench your jaw.  You are obviously just trying to toy with us.

shout

i = sqrt -1
i2 = -1

Now lets say you had something like f(x) = sqrt(x). The only things you can put into f(x) are positive numers and 0. This is called useful mathematics.

Yoni

With the introduction of the imaginary number i, it can be proven that every polynomial of degree n can be factored as a product of n polynomials of degree 1. It's called the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FundamentalTheoremofAlgebra.html
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PolynomialFactorization.html

This is a very important result. It means that, by extending numbers onto 2 axes, algebra is "complete" (purely algebraic equations, such as x^2 + 1 = 0, are solvable).

rabbit

Quote from: Shout on January 30, 2006, 11:40 PM
i = sqrt -1
i2 = -1

Now lets say you had something like f(x) = sqrt(x). The only things you can put into f(x) are positive numers and 0. This is called useful mathematics.

Assuming that x is being limited to real numbers, this is true.  However, if complex numbers are allowed, then your statement goes to shit.  Other than that, way to tell Joe off :0

Rule

Quote from: Shout on January 30, 2006, 11:40 PM
i = sqrt -1
i2 = -1

Now lets say you had something like f(x) = sqrt(x). The only things you can put into f(x) are positive numers and 0. This is called useful mathematics

Obviously you have no idea how useful imaginary numbers can be, especially in applied mathematics and Real Analysis.

Also, here's something to think about:

(-1)^(1/2) * (-1)^(1/2) = (-1*-1)^1/2 = 1^(1/2) = 1

As far as "imaginary" numbers not existing, and being hard to think about, they "exist" just as much as negative numbers do.  You just haven't thought about them that much.

nslay

Now prove or disprove that R^n can be related to R^(n-1) in the following fashion:
There exists x in R^(n-1) and 1-1 f(x) s.t. f(x)=r is not a member of R^(n-1) (and is not infinite!).
Furthermore f^(-1)(r)=x

Example:
Find a 1-1 f(x) that could generate an imaginary number relative to Z (call it j).

rabbit

Hm.

e^(pi)i = -1
e^(pi)i = i^2
0! = 1 = -(i^2)
e^(pi)i = -(0!)
e^(pi)Sqrt(-(0!)) = -(0!)
ln(e^(pi)Sqrt(-(0!))) = ln(-(0!))
(pi)Sqrt(-(0!)) = -ln(0!)
(pi)Sqrt(-(0!)) = -(0)
(pi)i = 0

Somehow I find that wrong... o well.

dxoigmn

Quote from: rabbit on February 07, 2006, 07:07 PM
Hm.

e^(pi)i = -1
e^(pi)i = i^2
0! = 1 = -(i^2)
e^(pi)i = -(0!)
e^(pi)Sqrt(-(0!)) = -(0!)
ln(e^(pi)Sqrt(-(0!))) = ln(-(0!))
(pi)Sqrt(-(0!)) = -ln(0!)
(pi)Sqrt(-(0!)) = -(0)
(pi)i = 0

Somehow I find that wrong... o well.

Um.. ln(-(0!)) != -ln(0!).  ln(-(0!)) = ln(|-(0!)|) + i*arg(-(0!)) = ln(-(0!)) + i*arg(-(0!)) = i*pi