• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Talk about censorship

Started by CrAz3D, January 12, 2006, 11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrAz3D

rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

quasi-modo

eh... i don't see taking someone to court over that, but the guy is still an ass hole... mouthing off to a cop. In a perfect world the cop would have just been able to take out his baton and give him a nice thump.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Forged

God, what is this world coming to.... The guy spent a night in jail because he might have offended someone.
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

Explicit

It seems to me that the police officer was the one who found it offensive, particularly because it embarassed him.  What does he decide to do?  Make use of his authorital position and arrest the student.  It's sad...
I'm awake in the infinite cold.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

CrAz3D

Quote from: Explicit[nK] on January 12, 2006, 02:35 PM
It seems to me that the police officer was the one who found it offensive, particularly because it embarassed him.  What does he decide to do?  Make use of his authorital position and arrest the student.  It's sad...
There is a law, it seems, about making homophobic remarks.  Per the law, as I see it, the officer was correct in arresting the student.  Its a stupid law probably made to prevent gay verbal-bashing.
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).

Explicit

Quote from: CrAz3D on January 12, 2006, 04:11 PM
Quote from: Explicit[nK] on January 12, 2006, 02:35 PM
It seems to me that the police officer was the one who found it offensive, particularly because it embarassed him. What does he decide to do? Make use of his authorital position and arrest the student. It's sad...
There is a law, it seems, about making homophobic remarks. Per the law, as I see it, the officer was correct in arresting the student. Its a stupid law probably made to prevent gay verbal-bashing.

I can understand if it was enacted to prevent gay bashing, but the article states, "He made homophobic comments that were deemed offensive to people passing by."  Since no one came out and said that the student's remark was offensive, I don't see any reason for the police officer to arrest him.

CrAz3D

Public Order Act Section 5 says...

Quote(1)   A person is guilty of an offence if he—

(a)    uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

(b)    displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,
Seems someone got insulted so they arrested him.

http://www.webtribe.net/~shg/Public%20Order%20Act%201986%20(1986%20c%2064)%20Sect%204A,%205,%206.htm
(ré-bun-dance)

Explicit

Quote from: CrAz3D on January 12, 2006, 04:23 PM

Quote(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he—

(a)    uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

(b)    displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,

http://www.webtribe.net/~shg/Public%20Order%20Act%201986%20(1986%20c%2064)%20Sect%204A,%205,%206.htm

I guess.  IMO though, it's a stupid law.

CrAz3D

Quote from: Explicit[nK] on January 12, 2006, 04:25 PM
Quote from: CrAz3D on January 12, 2006, 04:23 PM

Quote(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he—

I guess.  IMO though, it's a stupid law.
It is, people get their feelings hurt so you go to jail...dumb, w/e though
(ré-bun-dance)

Explicit

Hmm, the article made no mention of someone reporting the student's remark as offensive besides the police officer having taken action by arresting him.  Again, the article states, "He made homophobic comments that were deemed offensive to people passing by."  Would that make the officer the passerbyer?  If so, he would be arresting the student on behalf of his own feelings and not on people actually passing by.

Blah, just ranting, so don't mind me.

CrAz3D

Maybe some people looked @ the kid like he was retarded, I dunno.
Maybe the officer can judge was is offensive & not.
(ré-bun-dance)

Yegg

Quote from: CrAz3D on January 12, 2006, 04:39 PM

Anyone can judge what is offensive and what isn't. It's their opinion on the matter.

I think that the statement made by Mr. Brown could have been very offensive to the officer. It was directed to his horse. How do we know that his horse was not a very important part of his life? People have dogs in which they love very dearly, as if it was a person or a family member. The same case can be with a horse, or any other animal at that.

The kid should be put in jail for atleast three days. It will teach him a lesson to not to something that he never should have done in the first place.

Arta

Bad application of a good law. Homophobia is the last commonly accepted prejudice. Legislation to make clear that homophiba is just like any other form of bigotry is good.

This student, however, doesn't seem to have done anything particularly bad - this kind of law should be used to prosecute hateful gay-basing bigots, not students who make unwise off-the-cuff comments.

CrAz3D

Quote from: Arta[vL] on January 12, 2006, 04:49 PM
Bad application of a good law. Homophobia is the last commonly accepted prejudice. Legislation to make clear that homophiba is just like any other form of bigotry is good.

This student, however, doesn't seem to have done anything particularly bad - this kind of law should be used to prosecute hateful gay-basing bigots, not students who make unwise off-the-cuff comments.
It is actually a law against disorderly conduct, I speculated incorretly above.

The kid could've said "go screw your horse" & it would've been the same disorderly conduct.  The kid broke the law.  Its a petty offense, but an offense nonetheless.

EDIT:
After thinkin about it more, I spose it isn't really censorship as I originally though, more about public decency
(ré-bun-dance)

Explicit

Quote from: Yegg on January 12, 2006, 04:44 PM
Quote from: CrAz3D on January 12, 2006, 04:39 PM

Anyone can judge what is offensive and what isn't. It's their opinion on the matter.

I think that the statement made by Mr. Brown could have been very offensive to the officer. It was directed to his horse. How do we know that his horse was not a very important part of his life? People have dogs in which they love very dearly, as if it was a person or a family member. The same case can be with a horse, or any other animal at that.

The kid should be put in jail for atleast three days. It will teach him a lesson to not to something that he never should have done in the first place.

If the officer shared a family-type bond with the horse, and were very intimate with it, wouldn't he have picked up on the horse's subtle gestures that he were gay?

Quote"Excuse me, do you realize that your horse is gay?"

Also, seeing as to how the article made no mention of the tone the student carried, I would think the above statement was made with respect, and he was merely pointing it out.