• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Best Programming Language for Jobs

Started by Ender, January 01, 2006, 09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the best high-level programming language for jobs?

Java
C#
C++
Python
Ruby
Other
|

Warrior

Quote from: iago on January 10, 2006, 10:23 AM
How?

And who cares?  The two programs do the same thing, and Java was faster.  Regardless of whether it was a contrived test, it proves that C isn't ALWAYS faster, as people here would have you believe.

It was a joke lighten up :/
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

iago

Quote from: MyndFyre on January 10, 2006, 10:44 AM
Quote from: iago on January 10, 2006, 10:23 AM
How?

And who cares?  The two programs do the same thing, and Java was faster.  Regardless of whether it was a contrived test, it proves that C isn't ALWAYS faster, as people here would have you believe.

And sometimes execution speed isn't the primary concern.  Sometimes coding speed is paramount.

Actually, that's almost always true.  And Java (and C#) tend to have shorter coding times, so there's yet another reason to use the higher level languages.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Psycho

I chose Java, seeing that it is fast and is usable on all system platforms.

Joe[x86]

Saying Java is nice because it works on all platforms (which really it doesn't, it doesn't work on many hobby OS's, such as JoeOS or Optimix, but lets not go there) is like saying anal sex is good because it works on all genders.

Although Java's cross platform ability is nice (kinda like anal sex), you shouldn't pick it explicitly for that reason.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

Warrior

Quote from: Joe on January 30, 2006, 04:36 PM
Saying Java is nice because it works on all platforms (which really it doesn't, it doesn't work on many hobby OS's, such as JoeOS or Optimix, but lets not go there) is like saying anal sex is good because it works on all genders.

Although Java's cross platform ability is nice (kinda like anal sex), you shouldn't pick it explicitly for that reason.

... of course it doesn't there is no JVM implmented and iirc there isn't a *good* open source one. (I know there are some which I don't feel like citing now).

I'd opt for C# or C++ because it's simple a nice language all around.
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Hardware is cheaper than people. It's better in most situations to have a language that's faster for people to write and slower to execute than vice versa. See Ruby on Rails.

Joe[x86]

Quote from: Banana fanna fo fanna on January 30, 2006, 06:31 PM
Hardware is cheaper than people. It's better in most situations to have a language that's faster for people to write and slower to execute than vice versa. See Ruby on Rails.

mindfuck!

Yegg

Quote from: Banana fanna fo fanna on January 30, 2006, 06:31 PM

I agree 100%.

Networks

Quote from: Joe on January 30, 2006, 04:36 PM

That's the stupidest reason to choose Java IMO. I hate .NET because of virtual machines even if Vista will come standard with the .NET framework. The mass GUI interfaces on these applications is ridiculous.

IMO C++ is the best language. It makes you an efficient programmer, it makes you a more secure programmer, it makes you a more knowledable programmer, it makes you a more aware programmer.

I counter claims that C++ takes forever to code with: If you're good at it, it won't take that long.

I may be talking out of my ass but that's what I believe after having minor contact with most languages.

Joe[x86]

I agree. .NET is just a last ditch effort for Microsoft to keep world domination (defeating wine).

Warrior

Who claims C++ takes forever to code with? Any language you don't know can take a while to code with.

If you're basing your opinion solely because it "makes you and efficient programmer, more secure programmer, more knowledgeable programmer" it would be kind of nice to show some examples since the only thing that makes you efficient is knowing the language, secure is knowing about exploits, and knowledgeable is again knowing the language.
But then again, that comes hand in hand with every language.

People need to face facts, this is 2006 not 1991 if we kept compatibility with everyone then we'd still be using DOS with FAT12. Microsoft and most of the world is moving to more advanced hardware with 3D Acceleration and those who refuse to accept it will be left behind.

Vista is doing a great job at implementing components to make it easy for programmers to develop applications and be able to take full advantages of the abilities of the operating system. If you havn't seen the raw power of some of the new things in Vista then I suggest you take a look at them because they dont' seem overdone or slow in the slightest.

Even some Linux desktops are starting to get 3D acceleration for Window transparency "glass like" effects and other misc window decorations. Things like XGL and such.  Just goes to show the direction in which things are going.

C# is by far the easiest language I've programmed in and it's heavily documented both on MSDN and other sites. Offers the ability to create powerful applications with minimal efforts as it does things like garbage collection for you which in term makes you application performance better since it removes the threat of memory leaks in a program.

Anyhow thats my rant.

Also @ Joe's latest response:
Just when I thought you couldn't say anything dumber within a single topic..you post.

Yegg

Quote from: Warrior on January 30, 2006, 09:18 PM
C# is by far the easiest language I've programmed in and it's heavily documented both on MSDN and other sites. Offers the ability to create powerful applications with minimal efforts as it does things like garbage collection for you which in term makes you application performance better since it removes the threat of memory leaks in a program.

Sounds like you haven't been introduced to interpreted languages and other dynamically typed languages (LISP, Scheme, Haskell, etc.). :p

Quote from: Networks on January 30, 2006, 09:00 PM
IMO C++ is the best language. It makes you an efficient programmer, it makes you a more secure programmer, it makes you a more knowledable programmer, it makes you a more aware programmer.

It makes you all of these things because of its many issues. It's lack of allowing the programmer to use their imagination to the fullest is a killer.

Warrior

Yegg

Quote from: Warrior on January 30, 2006, 09:31 PM
I said easy not lame.

I must be tired. Unless you're talking to someone else? Anyways, I'm going to bed before I say something that makes absolutely no sense (other than what I mentioned about C++...).

Networks

Quote from: Yegg on January 30, 2006, 09:26 PM
Quote from: Warrior on January 30, 2006, 09:18 PM

Sounds like you haven't been introduced to interpreted languages and other dynamically typed languages (LISP, Scheme, Haskell, etc.). :p

Quote from: Networks on January 30, 2006, 09:00 PM

It makes you all of these things because of its many issues. It's lack of allowing the programmer to use their imagination to the fullest is a killer.

I was under the pressumption that C++ gave you more control thus letting the programmer use their imagination to the fullest. I am not sure what you mean by that statement.

|