• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

God, Pledge, WTF

Started by CrAz3D, September 15, 2005, 04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Soul Taker

Please erode my rights as long as it's not too hard on my everday life.

Hitmen

Quote from: Zorm on September 17, 2005, 10:02 PM
Quote from: Hitmen on September 16, 2005, 10:08 PM
I've always thought it was stupid and unnecessary. At the begining of the year in 8th grade I got a detention for not reciting the pledge. After that I figured out a surefire way to not have to do it anymore. The next day I help my hand up in a nazi salute facing the teacher, which got me sent to the office. After arguing with the principal I never had to stand up or recite some stupid words against my will again. Ever since then I've had teachers that weren't over patriotic asstards and it hasn't been a problem.

Thats just being an asshole, people give their lives so that you can be free and you can't even attempt to return the favor by saying a few simple words? Go kill yourself.

Not everyone wants to buttfuck the country they live in, it just happens to be the place I live and I'm not exactly at the point in my life where I could change that.

hismajesty

Are you planning to leave, maybe move to France?

Grok

As a libertarian, I am against the government forcing anyone to say any pledge to the United States, except those we elect to office.

Soul Taker

What about people that are employeed by the government?  I had to say a pledge and take an oath when I was hired at the IRS.  It seems logical since it was mostly about pledging that I'm not a terrorist or anarchist.

hismajesty

Quote from: Grok on September 19, 2005, 09:44 AM
As a libertarian, I am against the government forcing anyone to say any pledge to the United States, except those we elect to office.

What if somehow an atheist president gets elected?

Arta

There should be a pledge that doesn't include a reference to God. "One nation, bonded by a common ideal" or something like that.

Grok

Quote from: Arta[vL] on September 19, 2005, 04:29 PM
There should be a pledge that doesn't include a reference to God. "One nation, bonded by a common ideal" or something like that.

There already is (was) the pledge prior to 1954 was "One nation, indivisible, ..."

Arta

It was changed? lol. 'indivisible' is much better. Having it changed to 'under God' was obviously some silly right-wing religious nonsense. It should be restored to its earlier state as soon as possible!

hismajesty

Quote from: Arta[vL] on September 19, 2005, 05:46 PM
It was changed? lol. 'indivisible' is much better. Having it changed to 'under God' was obviously some silly right-wing religious nonsense. It should be restored to its earlier state as soon as possible!

"indivisible" is still there.

"One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty, and justice for all."

God was added during the Cold War.

Topaz

Grok

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on September 19, 2005, 05:53 PM

Hmm you sure?  I thought I saw on the news that it was 1954, not 1861.

Forged

It was added during the Macarthy Red Scare decade.
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

Arta

My point still stands, and I've changed my mind. This has nothing to do with schools. This has to do with including religious language in a pledge of support to a secular government. It doesn't make sense, and feels to me like the religious right trying to worm their way into the everyday life of secular people - something the American religious right seems to feel a strange need to do.

hismajesty

Quote from: Grok on September 19, 2005, 11:51 PM
Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on September 19, 2005, 05:53 PM

Hmm you sure? I thought I saw on the news that it was 1954, not 1861.

1861 was the Civil War.

Edit: Grok, yes, 1954, which was during the Cold War.

Also, here are the 3 versions:

Quote* 1892 to 1923:
      "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all."
    * 1923 to 1954:
      "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all."
    * 1954 to Present:
      "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all."

|