• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

[VB][Solved] Winsock Buffer Overflow - suggestions requested

Started by Don Cullen, September 14, 2005, 06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabbit

Huzzah?  Try using the CSocket class.  It's a bit more friendly than the MS control.
Grif: Yeah, and the people in the red states are mad because the people in the blue states are mean to them and want them to pay money for roads and schools instead of cool things like NASCAR and shotguns.  Also, there's something about ketchup in there.

shout

I did not look at it but I thought I might throw this out, have you tried making a new socket after disconnecting?

Don Cullen

Get this, the people who downloaded my bot had NO PROBLEMS reconnecting, and yet I did.

I'm so confused... I'm talking to  l2k-Shadow on AIM right now, we're trying to figure it out and having no luck. He suggested using ws api, then I suddenly went AFK cuz i needed to pick up advil for gf, then i got back- he had gone afk as well... lol, how's that for poetic justice? heh.

In any case, hopefully he'll get back soon, and we'll try to figure it out. If not, I'll try the CSocket class...
Regards,
Don
-------

Don't wonder why people suddenly are hostile when you treat them the way they shouldn't be- it's called 'Mutual Respect'.

Blaze

I was wondering about that, try reinstalling your winsock ocx, or like rabbit and I have said, Try CSocket.  I'd do both.
Mitosis: Haha, Im great arent I!
hismajesty[yL]: No

Don Cullen

Okay, any idea where can I get a fresh winsock.ocx? I used google, most of the results gave me win 95 setups, and they wouldn't execute for me because my OS is winxp.

Tried using CSocket, got confused-- but will try again if fresh winsock.ocx doesn't work.
Regards,
Don
-------

Don't wonder why people suddenly are hostile when you treat them the way they shouldn't be- it's called 'Mutual Respect'.

UserLoser.

Quote from: Kyro on September 14, 2005, 11:57 PM
Okay, any idea where can I get a fresh winsock.ocx? I used google, most of the results gave me win 95 setups, and they wouldn't execute for me because my OS is winxp.

Tried using CSocket, got confused-- but will try again if fresh winsock.ocx doesn't work.

It's mswinsck.ocx, not winsock.ocx

Don Cullen

I think my winsock's corrupt. In any case, I instructed the SendData sub to ignore the overflow error and pretend it DID send. weird thing is, according to bnet, it DID recieve the packets- I was able to join channels, chat, everything, no bugs whatsoever in spite of my ignoring packet overflow error.

Don't know why it's being like that, but apparently having the SendData ignore the error solved the problem.

Thanks everyone for your assistance!
Regards,
Don
-------

shout

Quote from: Kyro on September 15, 2005, 11:46 PM
I think my winsock's corrupt. In any case, I instructed the SendData sub to ignore the overflow error and pretend it DID send. weird thing is, according to bnet, it DID recieve the packets- I was able to join channels, chat, everything, no bugs whatsoever in spite of my ignoring packet overflow error.

Don't know why it's being like that, but apparently having the SendData ignore the error solved the problem.

Thanks everyone for your assistance!

That's not fixing that's ignoring an error.

Blaze

Don Cullen

LMAO...

Well, I've had a couple others test the bot, and they experienced absolutely no errors, so I think the error was specific to my laptop. Probably a corrupt driver. But in any case, I never said I fixed the problem, I said I solved the problem. Which means, while the error exists, it's being ignored by bot, which means, I won't see even a trace of it because it's being surpressed, which means it won't bother me, which means it ceases to be a problem for me.

Problem solved.

Now, enough of "which means", again, thanks everyone for your help, it's definitely appreciated!

And I couldn't agree more with Blaze- it's VB after all! LMAO  ;) :D ::)
Regards,
Don
-------

Blaze

Hiding problems can lead to problems, such as you can't figure out whats not working, no errors are showing but its not working. :P

Don Cullen

If something suddenly stops working, all I have to is uncomment the error handler lines I pre-coded in SendData. I might code an internal command so I can just do:

/debug

Then the bot will start displaying all internal messages, operations, actions, and especially errors. Most of the code is already in place, so that idea's probably worth something.

And in any case, like I said, I had couple of others test my bot, and none of them saw the error-- that was BEFORE i put SendPacket error surpression code into place-- so I'm not too worried about it causing problems.

And if it does-- well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. LOL.
Regards,
Don
-------