• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

A good IDE that runs on Linux?

Started by Yoni, September 02, 2005, 10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kp

Quote from: Yoni on September 11, 2005, 01:06 PM
Quote from: Adron on September 06, 2005, 12:29 AMI too feel half-blind when using gdb. It is powerful, but it does not use my screen efficiently. With a GUI debugger, I am able to lay out memory dumps, local variable listings, watches, etc, at fixed locations on my screen and then have those update in real time as I step through the program, or every time I hit a breakpoint.

That means one keypress to update them all, and they will be in a fixed location, making it easier for the eye to spot any changes that I am interested in.

Do you not miss that kind of functionality, Kp?
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

Quote from: Kp on September 06, 2005, 08:05 PMNo, I don't. I spend too much time working on systems which lack GUI debuggers to get used to it, so now I just go command-line only whether I'm in windbg, gdb, ntsd, or any other debugger. Upshot is I switch syntaxes quickly now.
That's a bad excuse. There has to be a good GUI debugger on any system that more than 1000 people use.

Luckily, a Windows system would run out of resources and crash well before 1000 people were using it. ;)  Seriously, I'd love to have a good graphical debugger installed on Windows, but windbg doesn't come preinstalled, the new versions aren't good (not compared to the MDI-based ones), and it's too bulky to install it on every system I must examine.  While I won't deny that GUI debuggers can be nice to use, I just can't agree that a debugger must have a GUI to be useful.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

mynameistmp

I know you want an IDE, but it seems like your only complaints are about the debugger. So, have you tried kdbg ?

http://members.nextra.at/johsixt/kdbg.html

Also, while vims functionality makes it the best text editor for the job (imo), you may find gvim more friendly if you're new to the environment.
"This idea is so odd, it is hard to know where to begin in challenging it." - Martin Barker, British scholar

|