• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

A good IDE that runs on Linux?

Started by Yoni, September 02, 2005, 10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoni

My IDE of choice for Windows is Visual C++.
On Linux, I use Kate and ddd.

Seriously, what kind of crap is that?
Is there something that comes even close on Linux?

And don't give me vim or emacs.

K

Well, if you don't want to use emacs ;) or vim, you could try something like kdevelop, although I haven't used it in quite some time.

Yegg

If you use WINE will Visual C++ (Microsoft I'm guessing?) work properly on your computer?

Yoni

Quote from: Yegg on September 02, 2005, 05:35 PM
If you use WINE will Visual C++ (Microsoft I'm guessing?) work properly on your computer?
Let's assume not.

Yegg

So if you tried using WINE I assume Microsoft Visual C++ (or someother IDE for Visual C++) will function properly on a Linux environment?

Warrior

It might and it also might suffer some "consquences" due to a bad compatability layer or something stupid like that.

I'd go with kDevelop. Pretty cool program. But then again, I'm not a Linux person.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

shout

Quote from: Warrior on September 02, 2005, 08:06 PM
It might and it also might suffer some "consquences" due to a bad compatability layer or something stupid like that.

I'd go with kDevelop. Pretty cool program. But then again, I'm not a Linux person.

I've dabbled in linux programming, and I use KDevelop for it. But I've only dabbled.

Kp

[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Newby

Kp is right. Vim + make will get you through the day.

You can even call make from inside of vim! How much more do you need? :p
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Yoni

Quote from: Newby on September 03, 2005, 11:47 AM
How much more do you need? :p
I'll take "GUIfied debug tracing", please.

K

shout

Quote from: website linked in K's post
Some folks will never want to use a GUI to their debugger, some will hate to use any debugger without a GUI. Insight pleases everyone, even your grandmother who likes to hack a little when no one is looking. Insight brings world peace. Insight makes your food taste better.

dxoigmn

Quote from: K on September 03, 2005, 07:20 PM
Sounds like you want gdb + Insight.

Screenshots

How does this compare to ddd, which Yoni is already using? I use to use ddd but I prefer plain-ole gdb now.

nslay

Yeah uhh...KDevelop kthx (inside joke with Yoni)

http://www.kdevelop.org/

Its comparable to Visual Studio
It not only supports multiple languages, it also has a nice GUI builder application, memory leak testing tools, project templates, and of course a built-in-debugger and lots and lots more ...  and all at the cost of 13MB of storage

Edit: And it also features a web application builder tool too...you can for example, use it to write php driven sites.

Have a screen shot:
Menu Options

C/C++ Mode

Scripting Mode

All Language Mode

Kp

Quote from: nslay on September 04, 2005, 06:29 PMmemory leak testing tools

I'd like to take this opportunity to recommend Valgrind to those who haven't used it.  Its memory checking facilities can make debugging much easier (if you're willing to wait as it runs!).
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!