• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Windows XP Pro Problem

Started by JTN Designer, August 25, 2005, 11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTN Designer

I bought a Dell Inspiron 700m and ever since I did a full format (as soon as I got it, because I hate having an OEM configuration) I keep getting wierd startup patterns. Like Apache won't start sometimes, and various other programs I have running randomly won't startup. Now after I restart sometimes everything will load, and sometimes nothing will. (This is just in the system tray) Is my msconfig file corrupt? Also please note, that I have only formatted (several times as of now) using the XP Pro SP2 Disk Dell gives you (although I do have a legit XP Pro SP2 CD) and that I get no errors during installs, I use a NTFS partition. Hopefully I gave you enough information.
(advertising deleted by forum administrator)

Blaze

Try doing a system repair using your Windows Install disk.
Mitosis: Haha, Im great arent I!
hismajesty[yL]: No

Stealth

Quote from: Mangix on August 25, 2005, 11:10 AM
Dell sucks

their hardware is of the lowest quality

I have not found this to be true. I would say JTN's problems are probably not hardware-related.
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot

Blaze

Quote from: Stealth on August 25, 2005, 11:41 AM
Dell sucks

I have not found this to be true. I would say JTN's problems are probably not hardware-related.
I would agree with stealth on this, and at least dell isn't a part reseller like MDG. *shudder*
Mitosis: Haha, Im great arent I!
hismajesty[yL]: No

JTN Designer

Dell sucks

Ok then build me a laptop....

Also I know it's not hardware related, any other suggestions?

Topaz

Quote from: Mangix on August 25, 2005, 12:34 PM
...i was being sarcastic

but Dell comps arent the best even though they have all their commercials

Go back to grade school, Mangix.

JTN: Have you tried using your warranty and calling in? There might be a solution or reason for why this is happening.

JTN Designer

Quote from: Topaz on August 25, 2005, 05:50 PM
...i was being sarcastic

Go back to grade school, Mangix.

JTN: Have you tried using your warranty and calling in? There might be a solution or reason for why this is happening.

Nope, I don't really think I need to send it back in, since it 99.9% is a software problem.

hismajesty

...i was being sarcastic

What the heck? What do TV commercials have to do with quality?

Topaz

I think that reference was:

"Just because they have a lot of commercials (eg, money to burn on advertisements) doesn't mean their products are good, they just make money from the general, unknowing public."

JTN Designer

Sorry for the extreme bump, but I felt I needed to do a follow up. Assuming you've read this post, I have now bought a desktop that came with XP Home SP2, and since I have 2 seperate XP Pro SP2 install disks, I obviously wanted to upgrade. Well it does the same thing the laptop does. Same configurations, however I have done some experimenting and this is the weird part:

I've always had Welcome Screen and Fast User Switching Disabled, hence giving you a prompt before you login into windows. Now here comes with the interesting part, if I let the laptop OR the desktop sit at an idle cpu process, for as long as the LED shows obvious activity and not just idle activity, and then I proceed to login, everything works fine, all my system tray icons, and all of the process I want running start up just fine.

Now I would like to stop waiting at the prompt for 1-2 minutes and just be able to login, any new ideas on how to solve my problem?