• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

No Time Zones

Started by Grok, August 23, 2005, 09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyndFyre

It's not *always* five o'clock *somewhere* now, either.  ;)
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Arta

Eh? Yes it is. Perhaps in the middle of the ocean, but whatever :P

Joe[x86]

Its only 5:00 on each hour, because timezones are broken down by hours, not minutes. 5:00 only happens 24 times a day.

Yeah, this would be a great idea. Example, from World of Warcraft:
Some Person: Can someone help me?
Some Person: Hello?
Some Person: *freaking out*
Joe: Look, its 3 AM, nobodys even awake.
Some Person: Its noon (or something like that) here!
Turns out they lived in UK.

However, the downside, how do we intend to do this? Timezones have been in place for hundreds (right?) of years, they can't just be pushed aside. If you think of a way though, I support it.
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

iago

Quote from: Joex86] link=topic=12597.msg125526#msg125526 date=1125055366]
Its only 5:00 on each hour, because timezones are broken down by hours, not minutes. 5:00 only happens 24 times a day.

However, the downside, how do we intend to do this? Timezones have been in place for hundreds (right?) of years, they can't just be pushed aside. If you think of a way though, I support it.

7 hours ahead of you wouldn't be UK.  It would be a little bit east of Sweden, probably around Holland :-P
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

iago

Quote from: MyndFyre on August 25, 2005, 06:19 PM
Quote from: iago on August 25, 2005, 04:24 PM
But seriously, whoever said it is right: we should worry about getting the slow countries on metric before worrying about time.  I don't know how anybody can live with non-metric anymore. 
It's nice having iago tell me I'm right now and then.  ;)
Oops, sorry

Rule

Quote from: iago on August 26, 2005, 08:24 AM

7 hours ahead of you wouldn't be UK.  It would be a little bit east of Sweden, probably around Holland :-P

3+9 = 12.

Quote from: Arta[vL] on August 26, 2005, 05:09 AM
Eh? Yes it is. Perhaps in the middle of the ocean, but whatever :P

As Joe said, time zones don't continuously change but are discretized, usually into hours (I think).

iago

Quote from: Rule on August 26, 2005, 09:07 AM

3+9 = 12.

Oops, my bad!  I should have used a calculator :)

Ok, that person is 9 hours ahead of CST.  The UK is 6 hours ahead of CST, so that person is 3 hours ahead of the UK :-o!

Joe[x86]

Ugh, it was just an example! =p
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

Adron

Well, Holland is west of Sweden...

hismajesty

I'm part Swedish, I found out today - my great great grandmother was full Swedish. My great great Grandfather was Norwegian though, but Norway is right next to Sweden!

Maybe we're related Adron!

Topaz

We're all related!

CRADLE OF CIVILIZATION -> MESOPOTAMIA ^__^

Option

one clock? thats silly. thats saying my clock would read 3am when the sun is out? it doesnt seem like the concept of one clock would work. when you travel to a different time zone, in a sense back in time, you are able to repeat that day over because light hasnt hit that area yet. time is set to the rotation of Earth. ah. point is: its stupid. :P

Adron

Quote from: Option on September 02, 2005, 08:11 AM
one clock? thats silly. thats saying my clock would read 3am when the sun is out? it doesnt seem like the concept of one clock would work. when you travel to a different time zone, in a sense back in time, you are able to repeat that day over because light hasnt hit that area yet. time is set to the rotation of Earth. ah. point is: its stupid. :P

That's just a matter of perspective... My clock does read 3am when the sun is up at times. And apart from that, why should you connect the numbers on your clock to where the sun is? It changes during the year anyway...

hismajesty

3am and the sun is up? If that happened here I'd think Jesus was coming back or aliens were attacking or something.

Adron

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on September 02, 2005, 08:33 AM
3am and the sun is up? If that happened here I'd think Jesus was coming back or aliens were attacking or something.

Well, where my grandparents live, the sun is up all night for a couple weeks in june-july...

Here, between summer and winter, first light shifts from around 3 am to a bit after 8 am.

And in the winter, the sun sets before 3 pm, while in the summer it's still up after 10 pm.

Work in december: Go to work before sun comes up, go home after sun goes down. You may see it through the window or if you go out for lunch.

Vacation in june: Go to sleep while the sun is shining. Wake up and it's still shining.

|