• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

[C++] Most Updated Compiler

Started by Yegg, August 06, 2005, 02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yegg

I'm just curious as to what C/C++ compiler is the most updated as of now. Right now I'm using Microsoft Visual C++ 6 Standard. However I have no clue how up-to-date its compiler really is, not that its "up-to-dateness" really matters to me, but I would like to know what the most updated compiler currently is. Thanks in advance.

Mangix

iago

I don't think compilers can be "up to date" or not.  Either they implement the standard, or they don't.

I'm pretty sure that gcc and ms's compiler both implement the standard, but they both have their own unique extensions.  gcc is probably better to use, though, because it's supported across different platforms :)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Kp

I'm pretty sure VC6 is quite a ways from implementing the standard.  VC7 is closer, but still isn't there.  gcc may also be wrong on a few issues, but it and VC7 are far closer than VC6 ever was.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Warrior

If we're talking most updated, I'd say gcc
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

Yegg

Thanks for the responses guys. I may switch to Borland C++ Builder 6, but GCC looks like a very great choice as well. VC7 is also on my list so I'll have to try that out as well and see what I like the best.

Arta

What exactly do you mean by "most updated"?

Topaz

Probably meant having updates and such applied often.

Yegg

Whatever supports most systems, most powerful, etc. That kind of stuff is what I meant by most updated. Sorry that I didn't specify this in the beginning. So far GCC seems to be what I may be looking for. But Borland looks pretty good too.

Kp

It's unlikely you'll find a compiler which runs on more systems than gcc, but bear in mind that many systems are horribly broken and don't support Linux semantics correctly, so just because you can run a compiler on them doesn't mean you can do much useful.  For instance, consider that Microsoft's port of the CRT to Win32 is horribly braindamaged: many fields in struct stat are outright wrong (always zero, never initialized, etc.).  Most Unices are fairly reasonable, but there're quirks on almost all of them.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Stealth

If you mean IDE as opposed to compiler, then Bloodshed Software's Dev-Cpp is a good free choice. :)
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot

R.a.B.B.i.T

Warrior

Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?