• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Best programming language...

Started by rambling maniac, July 18, 2005, 11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rambling maniac

What would be the best programming language that uses the systems hardware resources for pulling information and sending information from a graphical environment in the fastest way possible.

R.a.B.B.i.T

Lenny

Whew, and I thought this would be a controversial topic.
The Bovine Revolution
Something unimportant

Live Battle.net:

WARNING: The preceding message may have contained content unsuitable for young children.

iago

"from a graphical environment"? Can you elaborate?

You'll probably want C, it's low level and you can make direct hardware calls from it.  Or, if it's necessary, you can add inline assembler. 

I don't quite understand why RaBBiT suggests x86, though.  Use whichever assembler is native to your CPU.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Banana fanna fo fanna

Arta

iago

Quote from: Arta[vL] on July 18, 2005, 07:56 PM
Hopefully, they all mean C++ :)

Why have the extra (and, might I add, pointless) design considerations of classes to a simple hardware interface problem?

Arta

Because, imho, a well-designed OO program is more maintainable, more extensible, and more reusable than its procedural counterpart. Note that I said well-designed - which is hard. I think this applies to all but the most trivial of programs.

Also, since is C++ a superset of C, it will let you do everything as you would otherwise have done it in C, but with the added benefit of better type safety and other useful language features. It's not just classes.

Since C++ is 'C' '++', you may as well use it, just in case you want the '++' later :)

R.a.B.B.i.T

Quote from: iago on July 18, 2005, 06:19 PM

You'll probably want C, it's low level and you can make direct hardware calls from it.  Or, if it's necessary, you can add inline assembler. 

I don't quite understand why RaBBiT suggests x86, though.  Use whichever assembler is native to your CPU.
Notepad2 + NASM/TASM/MASM

rambling maniac

I meant to be able to grab certain information from a multimedia image and then send the info that was attained very quickly.

Yoni

Quote from: rabbit on July 19, 2005, 12:20 AM

You'll probably want C, it's low level and you can make direct hardware calls from it. Or, if it's necessary, you can add inline assembler.

I don't quite understand why RaBBiT suggests x86, though. Use whichever assembler is native to your CPU.
Notepad2 + NASM/TASM/MASM
Hex editor + machine code reference

TehUser

A switch, for tapping out the binary yourself.

iago

Quote from: rambling maniac on July 19, 2005, 09:34 AM
I meant to be able to grab certain information from a multimedia image and then send the info that was attained very quickly.

Then yeah, C, possibly mixed with assembly, is your best bet.

Or C++ -- Arta, if you want to argue the point further about C vs. C++, let's use another topic.  But I don't care enough to start one, so eh?  I like C better, and I will continue to like C better. 

Mephisto

Because he doesn't know enough about ASM to understand what he's saying.  :P

Warrior

or because he made an assumption based on a commonly used processor by people on this forum.
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?