• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Javascript not working in IE

Started by Networks, June 21, 2005, 06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangix

Netscape uses the IE engine or w/e you want to call it. basically netscape lets you chose how you want to view the page. through IE or firefox. my guess is that this website identifies the browser through the User-Agent and i think netscape changes it to IE. hmmmm let me check.

edit:yeah the user agent with Netscape was Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Networks

Quote from: Mangix on June 23, 2005, 03:22 PM
Netscape uses the IE engine or w/e you want to call it. basically netscape lets you chose how you want to view the page. through IE or firefox. my guess is that this website identifies the browser through the User-Agent and i think netscape changes it to IE. hmmmm let me check.

edit:yeah the user agent with Netscape was Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

I'll try it as an alternate, if it works thank you, if not grr!

Edit: It worked :) Netscape > FireFox > IE

Kp

Actually, Netscape < IE < Firefox, because it's branded like it would give you the security of the Mozilla codebase, but it actually uses the horrible IE rendering engine.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Mangix

it accually lets you chose which browser system to use for each page. for instance you can set to view a specific website with IE and all other ones with firefox. on another note, ActiveX on Netscape can only be used if enabled which is some security i guess.

also note that IE and firefox parse (X)HTML diffrently soooo if anyone were to develop websites, Netscape would be a good tool as you can see the results in both browsers :).

heres an example of how it parses it diffrently. on IE, if it sees a tag like <hr class="color" /> and if the class color containted "color:red" then it would show the line as red. firefox however doesnt do this. also dont mind the invalid CSS.

Networks

I don't know but Netscape is exactly like FireFox + more. Has everything I need or wanted. I haven't seen many Vunerabilities about Netscape either on BugTraq. They must be doing something right.

Mangix

lol dl some extensions for netscape. it uses the same extension system as firefox :).

Kp

Quote from: Mangix on June 24, 2005, 03:00 AMit accually lets you chose which browser system to use for each page. for instance you can set to view a specific website with IE and all other ones with firefox. on another note, ActiveX on Netscape can only be used if enabled which is some security i guess.

Yes, but IIRC, it defaults to using the IE rendering engine, which is stupid and dangerous if they're going to tout its Firefox roots.  ActiveX cannot be used at all on safe browsers, which is better security. :)

Quote from: Mangix on June 24, 2005, 03:00 AMalso note that IE and firefox parse (X)HTML diffrently soooo if anyone were to develop websites, Netscape would be a good tool as you can see the results in both browsers :).

Actually, you're probably better off going straight to the source and using IE + Firefox separately, to ensure that you aren't misled by any changes Netscape may have made to the rendering method.  I don't know if they have done so, but it's certainly possible.

Quote from: Networks on June 24, 2005, 11:13 AMI don't know but Netscape is exactly like FireFox + more. Has everything I need or wanted. I haven't seen many Vunerabilities about Netscape either on BugTraq. They must be doing something right.

Yes.  So much more that it's huge compared to Firefox, despite being essentially Firefox + an interface to use the IE rendering engine.  My understanding is that Netscape simply inherits the vulnerabilities of whatever engine you're using to view a particular page, so it'll be little better than IE when you use the IE rendering engine.  Similarly, it'll have any Firefox problems if you use the Gecko engine, but aside from Netscape/AOL's impressive screwup in releasing Netscape 8.0 based off Firefox 1.03 (after Firefox 1.04 had been out for days), that hasn't been too much of a problem yet.  To further their discredit, Netscape then managed to release a build based on Firefox 1.04 the next day, which caused many to ask why Netscape didn't simply wait the extra day to let 8.0 be based off Firefox 1.04.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!