• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Javascript not working in IE

Started by Networks, June 21, 2005, 06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Networks

this week javascript popups stopped functioning in IE (although they still work on my system in Mozilla). By "stopped functioning" I mean nothing happens, no errors no nothing, it is as if the browser does not realize the link is there.

Attempted Solutions:
I've gone through making sure that IE doesn't have something disabled, e.g. tools>internet options>advanced, etc...
I don't have any issues with popup blockers, firewalls, etc...
I've done the start>run>driver stuff
Even went so far as to download Java from Sun and install even though I realize that Javascript has nothing to do with Java

I took this from another site but it's the same thing I've done :D EXACTLY! Please help. I click on a link that involves Javascript and a pop up is supposed to pop up but the screen just flashes a few times and nothing happens. I've checked all outside popup blockers and firewalls etc etc.

Yegg

Did you check to make sure the code first works in other browsers?

MyndFyre

Quote from: Yegg on June 21, 2005, 07:36 PM
Did you check to make sure the code first works in other browsers?

Quote from: Networks on June 21, 2005, 06:52 PM
this week javascript popups stopped functioning in IE (although they still work on my system in Mozilla).
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Yegg

Kp

Quote from: Networks on June 21, 2005, 06:52 PM
this week javascript popups stopped functioning in IE (although they still work on my system in Mozilla).

So why's this a problem? :)  Really, you shouldn't be using IE on the open Internet.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Networks

One of my the sites my mom uses for her realty only can use Internet Explorer. www.armls.com is the site and it uses some various Javascripting. I have to get this fixed otherwise I am going to have to be forced into a reformat.  ::) Any help is appreciated. One site I can't get to work for instance that won't work is aim.com -> aim express. You press start and no window will popup. This also uses Javascript, so I assuming if I can get this page to work I can get any page on the other site as well. Any help is appreciated. My only solution is reinstall SP2 so that it may hopefully reinstall Java because it will reinstall Explorer. If not that, then I must reformat.

Kp

Although more trouble, it seems like it'd be a much wiser course of action to fix the broken website than to try to re-enable scripting in such a dangerous browser.  It speaks quite poorly of a web designer who creates a site which cannot be rendered on a stable OS.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Kp on June 22, 2005, 08:54 PM
Although more trouble, it seems like it'd be a much wiser course of action to fix the broken website than to try to re-enable scripting in such a dangerous browser.  It speaks quite poorly of a web designer who creates a site which cannot be rendered on a stable OS.

Well, I know a lot of realtors, and not one of them knows how to use Linux.  So it's another case of targetting the customer instead of principle.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Kp

Quote from: MyndFyre on June 22, 2005, 10:42 PM
Quote from: Kp on June 22, 2005, 08:54 PMAlthough more trouble, it seems like it'd be a much wiser course of action to fix the broken website than to try to re-enable scripting in such a dangerous browser.  It speaks quite poorly of a web designer who creates a site which cannot be rendered on a stable OS.
Well, I know a lot of realtors, and not one of them knows how to use Linux.  So it's another case of targetting the customer instead of principle.

Actually, I was speaking more generally. :)  Do any of them use Macintosh based systems?  Also, it was originally ambiguous whether the incompetently designed website was intended solely for use by the realtors, or if the general house-buying public would also be subjected to it.  If the designer is only inflicting it upon realtors and your generalization is correct, it's not worth fixing.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Kp on June 22, 2005, 10:48 PM
Quote from: MyndFyre on June 22, 2005, 10:42 PM
Quote from: Kp on June 22, 2005, 08:54 PMAlthough more trouble, it seems like it'd be a much wiser course of action to fix the broken website than to try to re-enable scripting in such a dangerous browser.  It speaks quite poorly of a web designer who creates a site which cannot be rendered on a stable OS.

Actually, I was speaking more generally. :)  Do any of them use Macintosh based systems?  Also, it was originally ambiguous whether the incompetently designed website was intended solely for use by the realtors, or if the general house-buying public would also be subjected to it.  If the designer is only inflicting it upon realtors and your generalization is correct, it's not worth fixing.

There are a lot of websites better suited to use by the general public (like www.realtor.com) than the ARMLS website.  ARMLS is required for Arizona realtors to update listings in the Multiple Listing Service, which is then used by the other websites via server-to-server communication.

Mac users can use IE for Mac.  :P

Networks

None of that solves my problem -.-

MyndFyre

What version of IE do you have?  6.0 SP1?  SP2?

If SP2:

Check Tools->Popup Blocker... to make sure www.armls.com and armls.marketlinx.com are allowed sites.
Check Tools->Manage Add-ons... to make sure that you don't have some 3rd-party spyware or something installed that could be blocking it.  The entirety of my "Add-ons that have been used in Internet Explorer" is this:
AcroIEHlprObj Class
AcroIEToolbarHelper Class
Adobe PDF
Create Mobile Favorite
Create Mobile Favorite...
HTML Document
IETag Factory
Java Plug-in 1.5.0_01
Java Plug-in 1.5.0_01
QuickTime Object
Research
Shockwave Flash Object
Video__X_MS_ASF Moniker Class
VIDEO__X_MS_WMV Moniker Class
Web Browser Applet Control
Windows Media Services DRM Storage Object
Windows Messenger
WUWebControl Class

Check your Tools->Internet Options... for the following settings:
Under "Security," choose "Custom Level."  Scroll to near the bottom, and under the "Active Scripting" heading, verify that "Prompt" or "Enabled" is chosen.

At any rate, that's the best I could suggest.  HTH!

Networks

I've done most of that except the addon thing, I followed that and still nothing occurs.

Mangix

why not use another browser with ActiveX support? Netscape perhaps?

Networks

Quote from: Mangix on June 23, 2005, 03:17 PM
why not use another browser with ActiveX support? Netscape perhaps?

The site only seems to want to work using IE and IE only.