• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Starting basic OS Development

Started by Joe[x86], June 18, 2005, 04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyndFyre

Quote from: Warrior on February 21, 2006, 11:55 PM
Well I use FASM or NASM to compile my assembly (Sometimes I'll code inline assembly with intel syntax turned on) and DJGPP to compile (DJGPP isn't recommended since it has some limitations but I got over most of them), however I plan to build a GCC cross compiler when the need arises. When my OS is mature enough to execute programs and I have most GCC dependancies ported then I'll build the compiler on my OS and be self hosted.

OSDev is around 60% research and 40% implementation. There are plenty of examples of good (and bad) implementations floating around. I usually follow what most do adding my own twists here and there.

One of the biggest annoyances is lack of hardware support so even if you do get to VESA in a good reso with like 32 or 24 bpp it still will be painfully slow even with MTRR enabled.

I keep trying to tell you man, hack ntdll and hal.dll.  Reproduce *that* and go for native Windows driver compatibility.  :)
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Warrior

Well if anything, I'd port some of the 2D Accelerants for VBE in Open BeOS or in Linux. Of course until now no one has documented, maybe I should be the first! Most of the things that worry me are reversng some NIC's and such but my NIC fortunately was made open source by VIA (Go them).

Of course my OS is no where near that mature. Right now I'm implementing Kernel->User communication via Call Gates (Messier but faster than plain int xx) and taking into account possible errors that could acompany "cpuid".
Quote from: effect on March 09, 2006, 11:52 PM
Islam is a steaming pile of fucking dog shit. Everything about it is flawed, anybody who believes in it is a terrorist, if you disagree with me, then im sorry your wrong.

Quote from: Rule on May 07, 2006, 01:30 PM
Why don't you stop being American and start acting like a decent human?

|