• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Where are CDKeys stored?

Started by Gilovan, May 22, 2005, 02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilovan

I am attempting to add a "cdkey scanner" to my bot, because everyone says "it would be helpful". Most likely, they just want to extract CDKeys from there computers :-P

I have already managed to locate all the Starcraft Files (I only need to do this for Starcraft) folders, but I do not know which file, or where in whichever file, the cdkey is stored, or if it is encrypted.

All help is appreciated.

l)ragon

They are encrypted in the mpq's
*^~·.,¸¸,.·´¯`·.,¸¸,.-·~^*ˆ¨¯¯¨ˆ*^~·.,l)ragon,.-·~^*ˆ¨¯¯¨ˆ*^~·.,¸¸,.·´¯`·.,¸¸,.-·~^*

Gilovan

Alright, I hate to get off to a bad start, but I was fishing for a little more information then that. This happens to me a lot, because I never ask a full question ;)

I am targeting Macintosh  ( OS X )
I would like to know exactly which file
I would like to know exactly where the CDKey is located (bit point, character point, etc.)
I would like to know what it is encrypted with, and how to decrypt.

Sorry if I say piqued, I really am not trying to be evil.

Networks

Quote from: Gilovan on May 22, 2005, 02:49 PM
Alright, I hate to get off to a bad start, but I was fishing for a little more information then that. This happens to me a lot, because I never ask a full question ;)

I am targeting Macintosh  ( OS X )
I would like to know exactly which file
I would like to know exactly where the CDKey is located (bit point, character point, etc.)
I would like to know what it is encrypted with, and how to decrypt.

Sorry if I say piqued, I really am not trying to be evil.

Wouldn't it be hashed?

Gilovan

No, its not hashed, because other people have built "extractors" on the PC. Besides, hash files are used every-time you connect to battle.net with a game, right? So those hash files have to get the CDKey from somewhere...

Eric

Quote from: Gilovan on May 22, 2005, 02:55 PM
No, its not hashed, because other people have built "extractors" on the PC. Besides, hash files are used every-time you connect to battle.net with a game, right? So those hash files have to get the CDKey from somewhere...

The only CD-Key "extractors" that I've seen grab the CD-Key from the game's memory during the connection process.

Gilovan

Really? Well then I have been looking in all the wrong places. I will take a look at the memory, maybe its there...

Dyndrilliac

People have made CD-Key "extractors" for the PC that obtain the information from the MPQ. Onlyer made one for Diablo II, so I assume the keys are hashed in the MPQ's somewhere and that this is possible for Starcraft. You should get in touch with him.
Quote from: Edsger W. DijkstraIt is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC; as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Soul Taker

If they were hashed, you wouldn't be able to get the key from the data.

Yegg

Quote from: Soul Taker on May 22, 2005, 05:05 PM
Unless you knew how to already hash the cdkey exactly how it gets hashed in the mpq file. Then you could easily find the cdkey in the mpq files data.

Lenny

Quote from: Yegg on May 22, 2005, 05:22 PM
Quote from: Soul Taker on May 22, 2005, 05:05 PM
Unless you knew how to already hash the cdkey exactly how it gets hashed in the mpq file. Then you could easily find the cdkey in the mpq files data.

I don't quite think you understand what hashing is...

One thing it is though is irreversible  ;D

I don't consider brute forcing as reversing, even though it is possible with starcraft.
The Bovine Revolution
Something unimportant

Live Battle.net:

WARNING: The preceding message may have contained content unsuitable for young children.

Deception

Quote from: Dyndrilliac on May 22, 2005, 03:12 PM
People have made CD-Key "extractors" for the PC that obtain the information from the MPQ. Onlyer made one for Diablo II, so I assume the keys are hashed in the MPQ's somewhere and that this is possible for Starcraft. You should get in touch with him.

Which MPQ are you talking about?
- Deception of Dark Council

UserLoser.

Hdx

Has anyone actually tryed looking into how SC retreaves the CDKey form the .mpq file? It's handeled in Battle.snp, i've seen it. As soon as I get home I'll load up IDA and find it for you.
~-~(HDX)~-~

Proud host of the JBLS server www.JBLS.org.
JBLS.org Status:
JBLS/BNLS Server Status

Kp

Yes.  Skywing mapped it out, and I think he even designed a utility that could read/write the cdkey file in the MPQ.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!