• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Do you work with computers for fun or for profit?

Started by Yoni, April 06, 2005, 12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyndFyre

It depends.  As I was explaining to someone the other day, I do most of my computer work (programming specifically) at my job which has absolutely nothing to do with programming.  It just happens to give me a lot of free time.  :)  I love my job.  <3

Quote from: Joex86] link=topic=11205.msg107675#msg107675 date=1112820970]
Actually, C is cross-platform, and Java is part of the C family.
C is cross-platform at the source-code level, and only if you use the same libraries.  Example: C code that uses the Win32 API is not portable to Linux without other dependencies (WINE), or C code that uses the KDE windowing system is not portable.  C that uses wxWidgets is cross-platform compatible, though.  But even this C code requires compilation on the target system.

I'm hesitant to say that Java is "part of the C family," because there are a LOT of things that Java doesn't do that C does (I'm hesitant to say that C# is truly part of the C family as well), but there are certainly language elements in Java that come from C/++.  However, Java IS cross platform at the binary level, because on any system that is going to run the Java program, you're going to have all of the same libraries (version-dependent, of course).
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

hismajesty

Quote from: Adron on April 06, 2005, 03:49 PM
Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on April 06, 2005, 03:47 PM
you can always have fun during your retirement.

That's not necessarily true. You may die before you retire. I wouldn't recommend postponing everything fun til you're old or dead or too weak to have fun.

If I reach retirement, I'll have fun. I'm sort of hoping to not retire though, and eventually start my own legal practice that will be passed down through the family. Hmm, I'll have fun when I'm old most likely though.

idoL

Quote from: MyndFyre on April 06, 2005, 05:34 PM
It depends.  As I was explaining to someone the other day, I do most of my computer work (programming specifically) at my job which has absolutely nothing to do with programming.  It just happens to give me a lot of free time.  :)  I love my job.  <3

Quote from: Joex86] link=topic=11205.msg107675#msg107675 date=1112820970]
Actually, C is cross-platform, and Java is part of the C family.
C is cross-platform at the source-code level, and only if you use the same libraries.  Example: C code that uses the Win32 API is not portable to Linux without other dependencies (WINE), or C code that uses the KDE windowing system is not portable.  C that uses wxWidgets is cross-platform compatible, though.  But even this C code requires compilation on the target system.

I'm hesitant to say that Java is "part of the C family," because there are a LOT of things that Java doesn't do that C does (I'm hesitant to say that C# is truly part of the C family as well), but there are certainly language elements in Java that come from C/++.  However, Java IS cross platform at the binary level, because on any system that is going to run the Java program, you're going to have all of the same libraries (version-dependent, of course).

Thank you.

Stealth

I do spyware cleanup and general computer help/troubleshooting, undercutting the hell out of the area services who charge around $100 an hour. Good profit and good fun -- I've run across many challenging problems in my work so far.
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot