• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Protocols

Started by Ban, March 04, 2005, 04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adron

Quote from: iago on March 05, 2005, 11:09 PM
To whoever said that bandwidth is a factor: text compresses very well, so use a text protocol and compress it.  Compare the file size of MS Word documents (binary files) to equivilant OpenOffice files (gzipped xml), and you'll see a big difference. 

To whoever said that things like dates/escape sequences need to be standardized: xml.

Haha, and try writing an XML parser... Luckily there are libraries available for a few languages, but XML really isn't as simple a solution as a binary protocol would be.

The reason MS Word documents get so large is that they contain a lot of information apart from the document text itself. And, they do zip pretty well. Generally, binary storage containing the same information as an XML version will always compress better.

MyndFyre

Quote from: iago on March 05, 2005, 11:09 PM
To whoever said that bandwidth is a factor: text compresses very well, so use a text protocol and compress it.  Compare the file size of MS Word documents (binary files) to equivilant OpenOffice files (gzipped xml), and you'll see a big difference. 
I'm not entirely sure what is included inside of a Word file, but given that a completely empty Word document is roughly 20kb, I would have to say that there's a problem with that argument somehow.  Plus as Adron pointed out, you can zip a Word document; you're comparing an uncompressed file to a compressed file otherwise.  I believe all the stuff inside a Word document is there to enhance backward-compatibility; note that you can probably open a Word 2003 file in Word 97 with maybe a few bugs.  But if you try to validate an XML file against a strict DOM, a good parser (*ahem*, an accurate parser) will toss you errors.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.