• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

x86

Started by I_Smell_Tuna, March 03, 2005, 01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I_Smell_Tuna

I have an Athlon 64 CPU, is this an x86 CPU? If so will I be ok in learning assembly language for an x86 Intel CPU?

R.a.B.B.i.T

Mangix

x86 means Intel Microproccessors(according to webopedia.com). sooooooo any Intel Processor is x86.

R.a.B.B.i.T

No it isn't.

x86 means any CPU/ALU running off of an 86x86 chipset, where the "x" represents a single digit.  Intel also has x44 boards (which are used in SAPs).

Adron

Quote from: rabbit on March 10, 2005, 10:34 AM
No it isn't.

x86 means any CPU/ALU running off of an 86x86 chipset, where the "x" represents a single digit.  Intel also has x44 boards (which are used in SAPs).

80x86 actually. And Pentium is "x86", yet not 80x86. They switched so they'd be able to trademark the name. Numbers weren't trademarkable.

R.a.B.B.i.T

80x86?  Eh...I must be going crazy!  O well, my point still stands that x86 is any in a group of configurations, not just a single one.

Mangix

Adron

Quote from: Mangix on April 02, 2005, 04:56 AM
lookie what i just found out :P.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/x/x86.html

Intel's latest and sixth-generation chip is called the Pentium Pro.

Wow, that's a really up-to-date article!

Joe[x86]

Wow, MMX. Lets all go get the pentium pro!

Anyhow, Intel is no longer calling their processors x86, but instead IA32, which means Intel Archtecture, 32 bit. Intel's 80x86_64 chips are, obviously, the IA64 line.

Also, Adron, Pentium One / Pro was the 80586, wasn't it? We dropped the 80 part, but I belive technically it should still be there.

__ASM
{
    eax = 1336
    inc eax
    ret
}
Quote from: brew on April 25, 2007, 07:33 PM
that made me feel like a total idiot. this entire thing was useless.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Joex86] link=topic=10786.msg107523#msg107523 date=1112749409]
__ASM
{
    eax = 1336
    inc eax
    ret
}

C(++) is case-sensitive, no?  Shouldn't that be "__asm"?

I guess you could have #defined it, but then again, why wouldn't you take away the leading underscores?  Seems somewhat silly.

BTW, you forgot to push/pop EAX.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Maddox

Quote from: MyndFyre on April 05, 2005, 08:14 PM
__ASM
{
    eax = 1336
    inc eax
    ret
}

C(++) is case-sensitive, no?  Shouldn't that be "__asm"?

I guess you could have #defined it, but then again, why wouldn't you take away the leading underscores?  Seems somewhat silly.

BTW, you forgot to push/pop EAX.

I think the VS compiler intrinsically knows to push/pop a register used in inline asm unless you're writing a naked function.
asdf.

Adron

Also, Adron, Pentium One / Pro was the 80586, wasn't it? We dropped the 80 part, but I belive technically it should still be there.

Pro was the 686 I think..

MyndFyre

Quote from: Adron on April 05, 2005, 11:44 PM

Pro was the 686 I think..

That is correct.

On an aside, very impressive were the performance gains seen by running Windows NT-based OSes on the Pentium Pro vs. similarly-stocked Pentium machines.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Adron

Quote from: MyndFyre on April 06, 2005, 02:04 AM
On an aside, very impressive were the performance gains seen by running Windows NT-based OSes on the Pentium Pro vs. similarly-stocked Pentium machines.

Oh.. I was choosing between a Pentium 200 MMX and a Pentium Pro 200 at one time. I picked the Pro. I ran NT based OS's on it for a very long time. I never did any direct comparisons though... How large was the difference?

MyndFyre

Quote from: Adron on April 06, 2005, 09:39 AM
Quote from: MyndFyre on April 06, 2005, 02:04 AM

Oh.. I was choosing between a Pentium 200 MMX and a Pentium Pro 200 at one time. I picked the Pro. I ran NT based OS's on it for a very long time. I never did any direct comparisons though... How large was the difference?

From what I've read, a Pentium Pro running at 133MHz would outperform a Pentium 200 MMX with similar memory configurations.  This was supposed to only happen on NT-bases OSes, though -- not *nix or 16-bit Windows OSes.