• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Linux distributions

Started by Adron, March 01, 2005, 04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adron

Just a note, target machine is currently 166 Mhz, 64 MB ram.

Linux linux 2.4.20-24.7 #1 Mon Dec 1 13:21:45 EST 2003 i586 unknown

Maybe quantifying it like that will help you tell me what linux distributions it is too slow for installing at a reasonable speed.

iago

I've installed Slackware on a 133, it runs great.  Compiling software is a little slow, but most stuff is offered for Slackware in packages, http://www.linuxpackages.net I think
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Intangir

i think most of them are gonna be about simlilar except stuff like gentoo which you probably dont want

it also makes some difference what your going to use it for

if your setting up a server you might not want a desktop, some of them install it weither you need it or not
Left here since creation...
Forgotten in the river of time...

Adron

You're right, I don't want any graphical interface, just a console. I don't plan on connecting a mouse, and X is pretty useless without one. Any I should avoid for that reason?

Schwinn

I would suggest Slackware for what you are looking for.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Newby on March 01, 2005, 06:21 PM
I think Slackware has all of what you need.

Take THAT iago! Beat you to it! :)
Slack doesn't have drivers for my sound card or video card :(

(Actually I'm sure it'll support my video card ;))

But playing games without sound is boring.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Schwinn

If you have a nVIDIA card you could probably find the drivers for it since there are native linux drivers for nVIDIA cards.

Intangir

i havent tried slack

definately dont install mandrake, it is all graphical by default, and corrupted and crap everytime you update anything
definately dont install gentoo, with such old hardware it will take several days to build it, and your not really getting any optimization with such an old processor anyway

im still thinking debian is your best bet, i ran it on my p166 and p200 like years ago..

by default it wont install anything you dont need (except for it installs some ppp stuff which is easily removable)

you can pick and choose precompiled packages using apt-get or aptitude

anyway thats my final recommendation ;)
Left here since creation...
Forgotten in the river of time...

Rule

I installed Mandrake 6.0 on my 133 MHz (16 MB RAM I think), a very long time ago (2000), and it wasn't nearly as bad as intangir described (for me).  I never used any graphical interface, etc, and it had everything I needed and ran smoothly. 

However, nowadays slackware might be your best choice... debian would probably be fine as well.  It's not that big a decision.  Just go for something simple without too many bells and whistles.

..Is it a crime to suggest RedHat?

iago

This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Adron

Quote from: Rule on March 09, 2005, 06:27 PM
..Is it a crime to suggest RedHat?

Actually, it is running RedHat right now, but I'd like to switch to something better updated...

Schwinn

You could use Fedora which is by the developers of Red Hat.