• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Help with a command...

Started by FaDeS, January 31, 2005, 06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyndFyre

Quote from: FaDeS on January 31, 2005, 09:10 PM
Basically, it means not... (In this sense, it means anything but.)

More specifically, it is the binary operator which means "not equals to."  It is parallel of the != operator in C-based languages.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

FaDeS

Well, yes, MyndFyre once again is the VB programmer, making me the "trainee"... Anyways, you saw my thoughts on your code example, and my code, how do I get it to function?

shout

You need to have method "blah blah timer_TickCount()". Then you must call that function you made, except without the "Sub TimerWhatnot".

MyndFyre

Quote from: FaDeS on January 31, 2005, 10:34 PM
Well, yes, MyndFyre once again is the VB programmer

Don't accuse me of that! :P
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

FaDeS

Visual Basic programmer... Sorry for throwing that one your way, what I meant to say, was "God of all things programming"... My bad, once again...

shout

God of all things programming...?

Wow MyndFyre, you sure are 1337!

MyndFyre

Quote from: FaDeS on February 02, 2005, 05:49 PM
Visual Basic programmer... Sorry for throwing that one your way, what I meant to say, was "God of all things programming"... My bad, once again...

Hehehe....  That wasn't what I was looking for.  I try to shirk praise.  But you're apparently not familiar with the generally-negative stigma carried by VB.  :P

FaDeS

I retract my last statement... not the "God of all things programming", but the "God of all things grammatically correct"... That, my friends, is how you should describe MyndFyre... And oh yeah, thank everybody (But mainly the grammar wizard) for your help, and now my bot is down the drain because I was owned by a worm, and had to reformat... So bye bye progress, hello regression (By the way, this is a very VERY loose use of this word, but it does fit...)... Anyways, thanks, and when I come back with another simple VB6 question, you can all rage at me for being a newb once again... Until then... This one's for you MyndFyre... "i r teh l3av1ngg 4 n0w... bi!!!!!!11!!!!!1eleven1!!!!!11111111"

CrAz3D

Quote from: FaDeS on February 02, 2005, 09:38 PM
Until then... This one's for you MyndFyre... "i r teh l3av1ngg 4 n0w... bi!!!!!!11!!!!!1eleven1!!!!!11111111"
I like the "eleven"....VERY nice touch.

Why is everyone so insistent that VB is SO horrible & that CSB is basically the devil's code child?... I don't think that they are THAT bad.  Sure VB maybe not run as well & CSB is "newb", but ALL people are "newbs" @ one point or another.  Poor VB & CSB.

Come back sometime FaDeSexclamation
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Zakath

The reason is simply because the "newbs" gravitate to VB & CSB. If they were only used by people who were knowledgable of their limitations and where they were properly usable, nobody would have as much of a problem.

When people post incredibly badly written code in C++ or C#, they get harassed for it just as much. It simply doesn't happen as often, since very few "newbs" bother to try writing anything in those more advanced languages.
Quote from: iago on February 02, 2005, 03:07 PM
Yes, you can't have everybody...contributing to the main source repository.  That would be stupid and create chaos.

Opensource projects...would be dumb.

shout

My advice: Start over. If anything, your code will be better than the first time you wrote it. Unless your brain was owned by a worm as well.

CrAz3D

Quote from: shout on February 02, 2005, 11:47 PM
My advice: Start over. If anything, your code will be better than the first time you wrote it. Unless your brain was owned by a worm as well.
Heck yes!... I just restarted my current bot project from scratch, it is coming along QUITE nicely for the 5-6 hours of work I put in to it.  It can connect & it reads all the info (access userdb, login info, bot info, & command access lists) from a nicely organized access database.  I'm WAY liking it so far.
rebundance - having or being in excess of sheer stupidity
(ré-bun-dance)
Quote from: Spht on June 22, 2004, 07:32 PMSlap.
Quote from: Adron on January 28, 2005, 09:17 AMIn a way, I believe that religion is inherently evil, which includes Christianity. I'd also say Christianity is eviller than Buddhism (has more potential for evil).
Quote from: iago on April 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
CrAz3D's ... is too big vertically, at least, too big with ... iago ...

Zakath

Ewww, access database. I don't really see the point in using a large-scale database for a project like this, but eh?
Quote from: iago on February 02, 2005, 03:07 PM
Yes, you can't have everybody...contributing to the main source repository.  That would be stupid and create chaos.

Opensource projects...would be dumb.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Zakath on February 02, 2005, 11:23 PM
The reason is simply because the "newbs" gravitate to VB & CSB. If they were only used by people who were knowledgable of their limitations and where they were properly usable, nobody would have as much of a problem.

When people post incredibly badly written code in C++ or C#, they get harassed for it just as much. It simply doesn't happen as often, since very few "newbs" bother to try writing anything in those more advanced languages.
/signed

Quote from: shout on February 02, 2005, 11:47 PM
/signed

Hehe, yes FaDeS, I appreciated your leet-speak, particularly the "eleven" inside.  It made a grumpy guy smile.  ;)

Personally, the reason I dislike VB in general is, I suppose, the development environments available for it are shoddy.  VB6's IDE isn't particularly nice, and, while the IDE features of VS7 are nice, VB still seems cluttered.  I can't put my finger on it; perhaps it's everything being capitalized, like the obnoxious person Who Types Each Word In A Sentence With A Capital Letter, Who You Want To Just Shoot On Messenger Because It Pisses You Off.

That gives me a new thesis idea -- I could bring computer science and psychology together!  Does seeing constant capitalization on keywords cause more fatigue than an all-lowercase language?

Additionally, I think VB is verbose.  For example, there is a VB7 keyword "Overloads."  C# and C++ allow overloading automatically.  Consider the following class definition:

// C#
public class Something
{
  public virtual void A();
  public virtual void A(string blah);
}

// C++
class CSomething
{
  public:
    virtual void A();
    virtual void A(char *blah);
}

' VB
Public Class Something
  Public Overridable Overloads Sub A()
  Public Overridable Overloads Sub A(ByVal blah As String)
End Class
}

I mean, I just want to pull out my hair at that last VB class definition.  C++ is easily the shortest one, but C#'s isn't particularly longer -- maybe 4 or 5 keystrokes -- but it just hurts to look at.  *shrug*

[edit] Since you mentioned my grammar, I just got my final paper back for another class.  There are a few typographical errors, and the end of a paragraph where I meant to continue on about something, most likely due to the fact that I was up until 4:00 am typing it.  I got an A- on the paper, which proves one thing: grammar is so ingrained in my head that, even half-unconscious, I do it correctly.  The paper is here: Rational or Irrational: Kim Jong-Il and North Korea (first draft, the one I got an A- on :P)

Dyndrilliac

Quote from: CrAz3D on February 02, 2005, 10:38 PMCSB is basically the devil's code child?

Lol. That is with out a doubt the funniest thing I have read on the Bot Dev board. I particularly got a kick out of that.

@MyndFyre: Wow, C# looks cool. Looks a lot like Java :D I should pick up VS.Net 2003 or something.

Anyhoo, I don't think Visual Basic allows you to create classes like that. I believe you have to use the natively functioning "Class Modules" to create classes, as that's the only way I was taught to do it. It's the closest thing to an OOP-Style Object in the programming sense that Visual Basic has.
Quote from: Edsger W. DijkstraIt is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC; as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

|