• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

SeDebugPrivilege Help

Started by Tristan, March 07, 2009, 01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MysT_DooM

Quote from: Tristan on March 07, 2009, 01:50 AM
Hey, I'm coding a program that requires me to set SeDebugPrivilege on itself.  It works fine on my system and not on others.  Some people receive the access denied error when they attempt to open the protected process.  I've been googling for a while and I've found a few different solutions, however none of them have worked.

I've tried having them make sure they're in the administrators group, they are.
I've tried adding them to the Debug Programs local permissions group, which they did successfully.

I've tried more things that I can't remember, none have worked. So does anybody know what may be the problem here?

The people getting the problem are mostly on Windows XP.  But I did see one having it on Vista.

Well i've read a bit, and am thinking you might have to change the access tokens of the process. So did you try to adjust the tokens privileges?  What did you try to do?
I read some more now, did you try looking into CreateProcessAsUser(), I believe that will get you to launch a process with a specified token, but I believe you'd have to change the security descriptor of that access token to allow that. This is alot of token business, anyways the following links might be more insightful, but i'll probably mess around with this later:

Access Rights for Access-Token Objects
AdjustTokenPrivileges Function
GetSecurityInfo Function
KillProcess - Terminate any application, shows token changing examples

vb6, something about that combination of numbers and letters is sexy

|