• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Problem getting Server to accept connections from outside network

Started by vector, October 21, 2008, 07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vector

I have a server that I made (VectorNet), and it won't accept any connections from outside the network, and I'm wondering what on earth is going on.

I invoked .Listen on the listening socket, and yes, I set the protocol to sckTCPProtocol

I forwarded the port the Server listens on from the router, and added an exception to it on the firewall, and no beans.

From a client plugin:

[05:55:10 PM] [VectorNet] Socket error #10061: Connection is forcefully rejected

that's when I attempt to connect to the no-ip DNS host that goes back to my computer.

What gives?

Barabajagal

What port are you using, and are you sure your ISP doesn't block that port?

Sixen

In addition to what Andy said, you will need to make sure your router/firewall(s) are configured for that port.
Blizzard Tech Support/Op W@R - FallenArms
The Chat Gem Lives!
http://www.diablofans.com
http://www.sixen.org

vector

the port is 1337. I have made an exception on the firewall, and forwarded the port.

Would the ISP ban a port that is not specifically defined in their "custom program port" lists?

I have Verizon FioS

Yegg

Did you bother trying other posts? Just try 30000 or something. I vaguely remember for certain types of connections that you couldn't have under a certain number, and I think 1337 would be included. Just something I vaguely remember reading however, so it's not necessarily true.

Spht

Did you remember to register the connection with WSAAsyncSelect?  Assuming you're using the winsock control that comes with vb6, it's pretty easy--just .accept on ConnectionRequest

Dale

What kind of router do you have? I had this similar problem but I solved it.

vector

Quote from: Spht on October 22, 2008, 01:20 PM
Did you remember to register the connection with WSAAsyncSelect?  Assuming you're using the winsock control that comes with vb6, it's pretty easy--just .accept on ConnectionRequest
Yes..

@Dale: I don't know if this helps

Firmware Version: 4.0.16.1.45.160.27
Model Name: MI424-WR

What did you do?

Dale

Quote from: vector on October 23, 2008, 09:39 AM
Quote from: Spht on October 22, 2008, 01:20 PM
Yes..

@Dale: I don't know if this helps

Firmware Version: 4.0.16.1.45.160.27
Model Name: MI424-WR

What did you do?

Well I have a linksys router, I don't know how many are setup this way:

I was putting 192.168.1.100 any none of my shit would forward properly, then I somehow got the idea to try 192.168.1.101 and they're forwarded and my server works. So maybe you think you forwarded your ports correctly but didnt?

vector

That would be rather funny if I forwarded the port to the computer I'm not using =/

Well, in the past I've hoted a JBLS server, and that worked fine. In the future, I plan to have a dedicated JBLS, if I can keep the computer on for that long :)

vector

I tested it out today on my home network.

I was able to accept connections from two people, since they were the only ones who I gave the VNClient.exe to. Zone, one of my friends, as well as DeaN o.o

vector

I was going through my code, and managed to fix all problems that related to crashing both the client and the server.

I just have to be more careful in VB6 with handling multiple sockets.

But, all is good.

Thanks for helping, guys.